One of the most challenging decisions that a cyclist faces is buying the best helmet. Since there are so many helmets in the market today, the twists and turns of choosing the best modular motorcycle helmet are enough to confuse even the most decisive decision-maker. However, we are here to help and make your decision-making process easy.
A helmet is among the most critical motorcycle gear you should buy for yourself and those you adore. When riding many miles while smiling many smiles on your bike, you need a good helmet that, if friendly to your budget, meets all your needs, fits you, and most importantly, gives your maximum comfort and protection in equal measures. Here is our top ten list of the best motorcycle helmet
Top Picks : 5 Best Modular Helmet
10 Best Modular Motorcycle Helmet Reviews 2021
1. HJC Unisex-Adult is-MAX II White Modular Helmet 980-146
If you are a lover of the HJC Max BT, you will definitely fall in love with its new version, the HJC Unisex-Adult is-MAX II White Modular Helmet 980-146, which is better and improved. This helmet comes in sizes that range up to 5XL, attending to more people who need different sizes.
Nothing beats a lightweight helmet, and that is the most remarkable feature that is the most attractive in this helmet. With only 3 pounds and 8 ounces, this helmet even beats its original type that weighed 4 pounds an ounce. With such a helmet, you can be sure that you will add some more miles to your ride without worrying about taking off a heavy helmet.
Internal sunglasses– this helmet comes with internal drop-down sunglasses that you can choose to remove or replace since it is removable and replaceable. The sunglass is anti-fog, allowing you to keep riding even amid the fog. The sunglasses are also perfect for the prevention against harsh UV rays.
One-touch integrated drop-down sun shield- the sun shield in this HJC model is easy to move up and down even when you have your gloves on. Therefore, you don’t need to stop or take off your glove to adjust the sun-shied position. The shied has three adjustable stages to allow you to achieve more shield positions that will suit your preference best.
Polycarbonate composite shell– this shell material makes the helmet lightweight and gives a better fit with advanced CAD technology.
Single-button chin bar– the single-button chin bar has a single button that enables a single-hand release even when wearing gloves.
- Incorporates sunglasses
- Durable material
- Easy to change and replace the face shield
- Offers maximum ventilation
- Removable and washable moisture-wicking interior
- DOT approved
- The helmet lacks a chin curtain.
2. 1Storm Motorcycle Street Bike Modular/Flip up Dual Visor/Sun Shield Full Face Helmet (GlossyBlue, X-Small)
1Storm helmets come in a wide array of styles, sizes, colors, and designs. This helmet has intense graphics that you will immediately fall in love with. Many people have bought this helmet because they cannot resist the graphics that have been engraved on it.
This and all I Storm helmets have an outer protective shell made of durable and ultra-lightweight materials. The cover is made from an aerodynamic thermoplastic alloy, making it the most secure helmet in town. The helmet comes in a range of sizes that goes up to XXL. The helmet has a cushioned inner padding that is comfortable to your cheekbone and offers maximum ventilation.
Durable and lightweight– This helmet is amazingly light and durable because of the aerodynamic, thermoplastic alloy-based tech that offers the best protection while riding.
Ventilation customization– This helmet has three ventilation control points on the top and five ventilation points to give fresh air to the rider even when riding at high speed. The ventilation also blocks out noise from the outside, so any rider can enjoy racing adventures while keeping their breathing and ears in check.
Comfortable interior lining-This helmet’s interior is made of soft, breathable, and hypoallergenic material that prevents the rider from the heat, dirt, and sweat since it dries very fast on its own. The inner liners are removable, replaceable, and washable.
Cheek padding– The helmet’s interior is filled with luxurious, comfortable, and soft padding, ensuring the rider gets maximum comfort.
- Lightweight and durable
- Approved by DOT and certified, making it a credible product.
- Enough ventilation points with three-level controls
- Removable inner liners and comfortable padding
- A mechanical skull that adds beauty and appeal to the helmet
- The helmet’s fitting can be a challenge since some people find it too loose or too tight. Therefore, you should double-check the size to see what size is suitable for you.
- No spot for Bluetooth communication and sharing
3. LS2 Helmets Modular Strobe Helmet
The LS2 Strobe helmet is made by riders for riders. It has a full-metal system that offers closure for safety. The helmet opens using a single button that is easy to access and easy to use even when wearing a heavy glove. The secure detent of the chin bar ensures that the helmet stays in place.
The motorbike helmet has a twin shield system sun shield system, so you are guaranteed maximum sun protection. The Strobe incorporates slide and cable technology to help riders engage the sun shield smoothly and block out the wind noise. The face shield is scratch resistance, and it is easy to adjust. The breathable lining of the helmet wicks moisture, offering you comfort and maximum protection.
- The helmet is made using a high-pressure thermoplastic technology that offers maximum comfort, less weight, and beauty.
- The face shield has an anti-fog mechanism with 3D optics. The face shield also has a Quick Release system.
- The Strobe helmet has an inner drop-down shield.
- Removable and replaceable interior lining
- Removable and washable liner
- Breath deflector
- Cheek pads that have laser cut foam
- Top vents and chin vents with an exhaust port at the back of the helmet
- Top and chin vents with an exhaust port in back
- ECE 22.05 certified.
- ECE rated
- Excellent fit and finish
- Tinted visor
- Protective shell made by high-pressure thermoplastic technology
- Inner drop down shield protective eyes from UV rays
- Removable and replaceable interior lining
- Removable and washable liner
- Fewer ventilation channels
4. Minim ILM Motorcycle Dual Visor Flip up Modular Full Face Helmet DOT 6 Colorsum protection from noise.
The ILM helmet is among the best ones you can use for all your riding, running daily errands, and traveling for many miles. The helmet has a neck skirt that ensures that your neck stays warm during winter or when riding with too much wind and cold. The helmet also has two interchangeable visors, a clear one and a tinted one. You can use the tinted visor when too bright and change it to a clear visor when the environment becomes darker.
The helmet has two ventilation channels on top, where one is near the chin. The helmet is comfortable, and you can ride with it for miles. It also has a quick-release underneath, making it convenient for quick on and off.
- Highly resistant ABS shell
- Micrometrically adjustable straps
- Certified by DOT and FMVSS-218, showing it is safe to use
- Lightweight and has a sleek design
- Minimizes the noise of the wind
- Modular flip-up face shield
- Anti-scratch face shield, which is also anti-fog
- Clear visor
- The cheek pads weigh very lightly; they are soft and easy to remove and wash.
- Certifies by DOT and FMVSS-218
- Sleek design
- Offers maximum protection with the ABS shell
- Anti-scratch face shield ensuring durability and clear vision
- Removable and reusable cheek pads
- Insufficient ventilation channels
- Les wind noise reduction feature
5. 1Storm Motorcycle Modular Full Face Helmet Flip up Dual Visor Sun Shield: HB89 Matt Black
I Storm never disappoints with its products. The features and technology that this company uses to make its helmet bring out the best quality, sleek, and functional helmets that are very popular among motorcycle lovers. The Storm shell is made from thermoplastic rubber, which ensures that the rider is protected and comfortable, along with the helmet’s lightweight and soft interior lining.
This I storm helmet will attract your eyes and the eyes of your fellow riders with its matte black color and sleek design. You don’t have to look rusty because you are on a motorbike. You should always look classy as the classy rider you are! And nothing beats a helmet that looks beautiful, protects the eyes, reduces the highway and the wind noise, and above all, offers you maximum protection whenever you get involved in an accident. Your life matters, and your appearance too, and this I Storm helmet never disappoints, not at all.
Meets and exceeds the DOT safety measures. Therefore it is DOT approved.
The aerodynamic thermoplastic alloy shell ensures that the available helmet carries very little weight. The helmet weighs only four pounds which is relatively lighter than most helmets that are on the market.
Dual-lens design– the helmet has an inner smoked visor and a clear outer shield. Therefore, you can interchange the guards and use the more suitable one for your preference and the environment.
Removable and washable pad– the interior padding and lining offer a comfortable and soft feeling.
- Dual shield, inner smoked visor, and clear outer shield that can be flipped up and down
- It comes in a variety of colors
- DOT approved
- It comes in different sizes
- Removable and washable padding
- Has outline for installing earphones
- Chin clip is quite difficult to use
- Lack of complete blocking of the wind noise
6. AHR Run-M Full Face Flip up Modular Motorcycle Helmet
Every helmet that guarantees your safety, because it has to, should meet the safety guidelines and the AHR Run Full Face Flip Up Helmet is among the best helmets that are DOT approved. The helmet’s features, material, and design ensure that you can enjoy your riding without worrying too much about how safe you are.
The AHR helmet not only protects you from injuries in case of wreckage, but it starts protecting you right from the moment you put it on. This helmet has double visors that offer maximum protection from the sunlight and particles that may fall into your eyes while riding. You not only need to be safe but also comfortable. The beautiful design, color, material, and features incorporated in this helmet might make you forget that you are even wearing one.
Reliable and high quality– The AHR RUN-M meets DOT safety standards, ensuring that you are safe. It features a cutting-edge flip-up and down design that makes it possible for you to get enough air and take a bite without having to take off the entire headgear.
Makes driving easier– The advanced ABS shell has a thick EPS liner that is sufficiently vented and high density. The ventilation allows for air intake, making it easy to ride for long miles and faster.
Double visors– The helmet has a tough front visor that offers excellent resistance to impact—the dark internal visor offers extra eye protection. You can easily control the internal visor using a switch.
Aerodynamic design with a streamlined shape– This design reduces noise and resistance from the wind.
Easy-release buckle– the buckle ensures that the helmet is secured on your head.
Washable and removable liner and cheek pad
- Double visors with a dark inner visor
- Adjustable visors
- Has buckle to secure the helmet
- Quick-release buckle
- Streamlined design
- Washable and removable cheek pad
- Lightweight ABS shell
7. Motorcycle Modular Full Face Helmet
Yema YM-925 Dual Visa Modular Flip-up Motorcycle Helmet has an appealing shiny surface that ent rider who wants to show some style will consider having it. Apart from being super cute, this helmet also has several safety features to protect your head while taking on miles on your bike.
The Yema YM-925 is DOT approved; therefore, you are sure of having peace of mind knowing that you are assured of being safe if an accident happens. The helmet is durable, and you can have it for years. When having this helmet on, you will turn the heads of other riders admiring the helmet’s style and shape.
- The helmet has an outer exterior shell that assures protection and suitability.
- Made with aerodynamic technology to decrease noise from traffic and the wind
- Double visor for improved visibility
- Incorporates a drop-down sun shield that is easy to move up and down
- The liner resists bacteria and odor.
- The liner is removable and washable; therefore, it will always have a clean appearance with good maintenance.
- It has fully adjustable ventilation that cools you when riding in hot weather. The ventilations also enable you to block the outside breeze when the weather gets chilly.
- Anti-scratch face field that is adjustable
- DOT approved for safety and credibility
- Affordable- The price of the helmet is reasonable and affordable. This headgear guarantees you safety, style, and numerous features, and it is a superb helmet for an affordable price. The helmet is sufficient for all rides, long or short.
- Safety- The helmet offers the safety that everyone needs. It has passed DOT standards.
- Durability –the ABS material gives the helmet a long life span and adds to the helmet’s safety.
- Comfort- the helmet offers maximum comfort with a soft lining that is bacteria resistant.
- Perfect fit- the helmet comes in various sizes to offer enough comfort and fit.
- Tinted visor- the tinted visor has been an issue with some customers. Some customers find that the tint distorts images.
8. ILM Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet
Many full-face helmets lack an integrated Bluetooth Feature, but ILM Modular Flip does have this feature integrated. The moment you put on this helmet, your confidence goes up. The ILM helmet is sleek, modern, and it is designed to give you a complete makeover.
Moreover, this helmet is one of the best Bluetooth integrated lids that are in the market. The helmet has exquisite features that are impossible to ignore.
Integrated Bluetooth– has a fully integrated Bluetooth system, which is easy to install. The helmet included built-in headphones, and it has a microphone so you can answer your calls without having to stop or without taking off your helmet. If you are mainly on the phone, you can still do it comfortably, even while riding.
One panel touch-The panel is used to answer calls, reject the calls, or dial a call. All you need to do is press a button, so you don’t need to pause your journey.
Full stereo sound– You can listen to music, not just music, but full stereo sound that will make your journey fun and enjoyable.
Noise suppression features– The helmet helps suppress the wind noise so the sound experience will not be messed up. The 2 inbuilt Bluetooth speakers also offer DSP Echo Cancellation and Noise suppressing technology. The aerodynamic design also minimizes the wind noise.
Great vision– The modular ILM helmet has two visors, internal and external. When you lift the internal visor, it lifts right up. You can also slide it down using the switch placed on the side of the helmet. The external visor has a scratch-resistant aspect.
- Modular full-face helmet
- Weighs 4.4 pounds (1.9995 kg)
- Bluetooth 3.0, one-touch control with stereo sound
- I lithium batteries
- DOT and ECE approved
- The helmet seems quite heavy at 4.4 pounds.
9. Westt Torque Motorcycle Helmet
West helmets are one of the most famous motorcycle helmets available in the market today. This affordable does not economize on design and enough vents to keep you cool, especially during summer.
This helmet is popular among both motorcycle and scooter riders. The helmet boasts of having a lightweight design. It has removable inner padding like most helmets in this review. It also has a quick-release strap and drop-down visor.
- The west Torque Modular helmet has a dual-layer visor that protects the eye from the sun rays, flying insects, debris, and other thongs that can be a barrier to smooth riding.
- The helmet has an anti-scratch outer shell. It also has a sun shield visor that will ensure your ride is hassle-free.
- The helmet meets the Department of Transport standards, making it legal for use on the road.
- This is compatible with bikes like a cruiser, scooters, snowmobiles, ATVs, and Harley Davidson.
- The helmet has a removable and washable interior that included the lining and the cheek pads.
- Quick-release strap
- Five ventilation channels
- Sun visor
- DOT approved
- The visors are not anti-fog
10. Typhoon TH158 Dual Visor Modular Full Face Snowmobile Helmet With Heated Shield, Breath Box
The Typhoon TH158 snowmobile helmet boasts a modular flip-up design. It also has a flip-up face shield along with a sun visor that is tinted. You can easily engage the sun visor even when still having your gloves on. This helmet is perfect for any rider, even when in the coldest weather.
The helmet has a double pane face shield that has anti-fog features. The helmet also has a breath deflector that helps in keeping out the condensation that obstructs vision. It also comes with adjustable inner airflow and front vents.
- Certified by DOT
- Retractable tinted glass
- Pockets for Bluetooth speakers
- Adjustable breath box
- Double pane shield that has anti-fog features
- Clear face shield
- An aerodynamic ABS shell that is light in weight
- Removable and washable liner
- Quick-release padded strap
- Dot approved
- Sufficient ventilation
- A little bit heavyweight
Helmets are a great accessory to have when riding, despite the distance since the road is unpredictable, you know! Knowing how riders can be at great risk when enjoying their rides, many companies have created several helmets that will always keep you safe. However, not all helmets are worth buying since they lack enough measures to keep you safe. Our review has selected the best motorcycle helmets that will ensure you are safe and stylish. Well, which one would you go for? Happy riding!
What Is A Modular Helmet?
If you have never seen a modular helmet before, you should think of the full-face helmet and imagine one that has a flappable chin bar that can turn it into an open-face motorcycle helmet.
If you are in the market for the best modular helmet, you should find one from a quality brand. This way, you will get the most value from your helmet. Of course, there are some features you should look out for a while evaluating the best bike helmets.
Why Buy A Modular Helmet?
Although you might be tempted to go for a full-face helmet, the best modular helmet might prove to be a better option. This is mostly because it comes with the possibility of flipping the chin bar up to turn your helmet into an open-face one.
To this end, a modular helmet will allow you to ride full face and only flip it up when you need to use your phone or have a quick conversation or when you get to a red light. Modular motorcycle helmets are also great because they tend to fit better when you are wearing glasses.
Whatever your reasons for getting the best modular helmet, you can be sure this option is popular mostly because of its undeniable versatility. Before you buy one, however, consider the following:
Factors To Consider When Buying Modular Helmets
Apart from the run-of-the-mill questions surrounding interior room, shape, and safety ratings, other details will apply to the best modular helmet: the mechanism for switching between full and open face modes. Other features to look out for include:
To evaluate this mechanism, you need to look at the style of release. Most modular helmets fall into two broad categories: side release and central release. The main difference between these two lines is that side release helmets require 2 hands to work while center releases only need one hand.
Due to the design, most modular helmets tend to weigh a bit more than other types of motorbike helmets. Although a couple of ounces might not seem like too much, you will start feeling the weight after a couple of weeks/months of wearing the helmet.
Consequently, the best modular helmet should be one that won’t seem like it weighs a ton. You should also invest in a helmet that won’t put undue stress on your neck and head.
Of course, the material used in the construction will significantly impact the overall weight of your weight. That said, invest in one that uses lightweight materials because it will also provide extra protection.
Like with any of the riding accessories you have invested in, you need to consider the price of the modular helmet you are interested in buying. By and large, most pricey models tend to be made using the best materials that are lightweight and fit the best. Expensive helmets also tend to come with all the extras.
So, how do you circumvent the pricing issues? Basically, the best modular helmet might come with an integrated spoiler as well as a tri-composite build. However, a better option might be one made of fiberglass and comes with proper ventilation.
d) Full Face Protection
Just because modular helmets are designed to look like proper full-face helmets, this doesn’t necessarily mean that they also provide the same level of full-face protection. Of course, your preferred helmet might be made using similar shell materials. However, the chin bar is what you should look at.
How To Choose The Best Modular Helmet
So, how do you pick the best modular helmet? Essentially, the right option should one that:
Apart from reading online reviews to understand the comfort levels of different modular motorcycle helmets, you need to know the measurements of the helmets and find one that will fit you perfectly.
To this end, the best modular helmet is one that will fit over your head. It should also feel comfortable without sliding around whenever you move or pinch your neck. Remember, the tighter the fit, the greater the level of protection you’ll get out of it.
2. Shapes Perfectly
Further, consider the shape of your head while shopping for a modular bike helmet. If your face is rounded, a modular helmet will work well because it has a hinge designed to enable you to lift it around the face.
3. Is Properly Lined
The liner should be, as far as possible, properly lined. With a flexible liner, you will be able to move the liner around to alter how the modular helmet rubs against your head.
You may have interest in Best Motorcycle Lift Tables
Are modular helmets worth it?
Modular helmets protect the head in case of an injury, but you could still secure some face injuries if it flips open. Since they are not used in racing, full-faced helmets are much safer.
Can you ride with a flip-up helmet open?
Modular helmets are not designed to wear open-faced. The open face option is just for taking some air amidst rides without taking off the helmet.
How many years is a motorcycle helmet good for?
The recommended lifespan of a helmet is 5 years, and that is as long as you have not reduced its lifespan by an accident or impact.
Are open-face helmets dangerous?
They are not dangerous; ensure that the helmet is of good quality and the face shield is secured so that it does not flip open with impact.
Can you wear glasses with motorcycle helmets?
You can wear glasses when cycling. Ensure that the size and design of the helmet will be comfortable with your glasses on.
Which type of helmet is safe?
All approved motorcycle helmets are safe. Ensure that you purchase from a credible source to avoid buying imitations. However, full-faced helmets have more safety features than modular-faced helmets.
Overall, finding the best modular helmet isn’t as easy as it might seem. Although you’ll certainly be tempted to reach out for the cheapest option, you’d be better advised to go for something a bit high priced if you want to enjoy the best features.
That said, the HJC IS-MAX II Modular Motorcycle Helmet (Matte Black, XX-Large) is our top choice. The sturdy design, the easy working mechanism, and the professional features it boasts all work hand in hand to deliver an excellent helmet.