If you are looking for the best modular helmet, then you are in good company. With so many brands out there, finding the perfect one can prove to be something of a headache.
That said, this guide will help you understand everything there is to know about modular helmets. Use it as you shop to ensure you make the right buying decision.
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on.
Best Modular Helmets Reviews:
While a proper riding jacket or even just riding leather will keep you safe in case you get into an accident, you also need to invest in the best modular helmet. Depending on your location, you might even discover that your state requires you wear a helmet every time you hop on your motorbike.
Modular helmets have a lot to offer. However, seeing as how there are so many in the market, finding the right one can prove problematic. In the following section, you’ll find more information about the five best modular helmets:
1. HJC IS-MAX II Modular Motorcycle Helmet (Matte Black, XX-Large)
The HJC IS-MAX II Modular Helmet comes with the following advantages:
- There are tool free replacement options
- It works through the single button release
- It provides ACS ventilation
- It will fit comfortably if you choose the right size for you
- The liner also fits comfortably
- The visor latch has a smooth feel all through the arc
- The helmet features luxuriously soft padding
- It also has liner snaps to hold the liner securely
- The chin bar is thicker than average, meaning it isn’t quite as sturdy as you might prefer
2. 1Storm Motorcycle Street Bike Modular/Flip up Dual Visor/Sun Shield Full Face Helmet (MattBlack, X-Large)
The 1Storm Modular Full Face Helmet is:
- Suitable if you wish to wear glasses on the inside
- Perfect for wearing during cold weather due to the thick padding and the heat emitting fiber construction
- Excellent if you are looking for full face access for eating, drinking, and conversing
- Great if you wish to actuate the lever with your thick gloves on manually
- However, the 1Storm Modular Full Face Helmet increases wind drag
3. IV2 Helmets “DEMON SAMURAI” Dual Visor Modular Flip up Motorcycle Snowmobile Helmet DOT (L)
- The NZ Helmets DEMON SAMURAI Modular Motorcycle Snowmobile Helmet will allow you to make calls hands-free
- It comes with the innovative flip-up system that is easy and convenient
- It offers excellent protection from sunlight
- It is highly resistant to scratches
- The NZ Helmets DEMON SAMURAI Modular Motorcycle Snowmobile Helmet will also reduce wind noise, allowing for quieter and smoother rides
- It is best suited for use in places that are relatively less cool
- It features a dual visor for use in lower temperatures
- The ventilation is highly dependable
- However, the visor on the NZ Helmets DEMON SAMURAI Modular Motorcycle Snowmobile Helmet tends to freeze shut especially in low temperatures
- The quality of the Demon Samurai’s padding could be improved
- The helmets sometimes becomes excessively noisy
- It is relatively heavy
4. Metallic Wine Red Modular Flip up Motorcycle Helmet DOT #936 (Small)
- The NZ Metallic Wine Red Modular Motorcycle Helmet is easy to convert to and from the open faced position
- The composite shell on it will provide effective and dependable protection
- The helmet is proven to be durable
- The helmet is also quite affordable
- It is Bluetooth-ready and has easy pre-engineered procedures for installation
- It boasts sustainable and functional eagle eye vents
- It boasts an easy one-push button for the flip-up function
- The helmet has impact-absorbing liner padding that will add an extra level of protection
- It features one of the most efficient of all ventilation systems if you need sufficient air flow while riding
- This motorcycle modular helmet won’t fog easily
- It is also relatively comfortable
- However, the airflow could see some improvement especially through the addition of extra ventilation ports
- The NZ Metallic Wine Red Modular Motorcycle Helmet does not come with a drop-down sun shield
- The chin straps are also relatively short
5. LS2 Helmets Strobe Solid Modular Motorcycle Helmet with Sunshield (Black, Medium)
Ranked among the best modular helmets, the LS2 Helmets Strobe Solid Modular Motorcycle Helmet offers some advantages including:
- It has a lightweight design
- The aerodynamic shape gives it impressive looks
- It has a large face shield at the front that, combined with the padded chin rest, will provide protection against the harmful UV rays of the sun
- The shield flips up easily to enable you to keep your eyes fully on the road
- It boasts flow-through ventilation to increase your comfort further
- It will ensure that air keeps circulating around your face while simultaneously forcing warm or hot air out
- It has quick release straps, meaning that you can easily put the modular helmet on and take it off
- It has been approved by the Department of Transportation
- The liner inside is removable and washable
- However, the LS2 Helmets Strobe Solid Modular Motorcycle Helmet is relatively expensive considering all the features it has to offer
What Is A Modular Helmet?
If you have never seen a modular helmet before, you should think of the full face helmet and imagine one that has a flappable chin bar that can turn it into an open face motorcycle helmet.
If you are in the market for the best modular helmet, you should try to find one from a quality brand. This way, you will get the most value from your helmet. Of course, there are some features you should look out for while evaluating the best bike helmets.
Why Buy A Modular Helmet?
Although you might be tempted to go for a full face helmet, the best modular helmet might prove to be a better option. This is mostly because it comes with the possibility of flipping the chin bar up to turn your helmet into an open face one.
To this end, a modular helmet will allow you to ride full face and only flip it up when you need to use your phone or have a quick conversation, or when you get to a red light. Modular motorcycle helmets are also great because they tend to fit better when you are wearing glasses.
Whatever your reasons for getting the best modular helmet, you can be sure this option is popular mostly because of its undeniable versatility. Before you buy one, however, consider the following:
Factors To Consider When Buying Modular Helmets
Apart from the run of the mill questions surrounding interior room, shape, and safety ratings, other details will apply to the best modular helmet: the mechanism for switching between full and open face modes. Other features to look out for include:
To evaluate this mechanism, you need to look at the style of release. Most modular helmets fall into two broad categories: side release and central release. The main difference between these two lies in the sense that side release helmets require 2 hands to work while center releases only need one hand.
Due to the design, most modular helmets tend to weigh a bit more than other types of motorbike helmets. Although a couple of ounces might not seem like too much, you will start feeling the weight after a couple of weeks/months of wearing the helmet.
Consequently, the best modular helmet should be one that won’t seem like it weighs a ton. You should also invest in a helmet that won’t put undue stress on your neck and head.
Of course, the material used in the construction will have a significant impact on the overall weight of your weight. That said, invest in one that uses lightweight materials because they will also provide extra protection.
Like with any of the riding accessories you have invested in, you need to consider the price of the modular helmet you are interested in buying. By and large, most pricey models tend to be those that are made using the best materials that are lightweight and fit the best. Expensive helmets also tend to come with all the extras.
So, how do you circumvent the pricing issues? Basically, the best modular helmet might come with an integrated spoiler as well as a tri-composite build. However, a better option might be one made of fiberglass and comes with proper ventilation.
d) Full Face Protection
Just because modular helmets are designed to look like proper full face helmet, this doesn’t necessarily mean that they also provide the same level of full face protection. Of course, your preferred helmet might be made using similar shell materials. However, the chin bar is what you should look at.
How To Choose The Best Modular Helmet
So, how do you pick the best modular helmet? Essentially, the right option should one that:
Apart from reading online reviews to understand the comfort levels of different modular motorcycle helmets, you need to know the measurements of the helmets and find one that will fit you perfectly.
To this end, the best modular helmet is one that will fit over your head. It should also feel comfortable without sliding around whenever you move or pinch your neck. Remember, the tighter the fit, the greater the level of protection you’ll get out of it.
2. Shapes Perfectly
Further, consider the shape of your head while shopping for a modular bike helmet. If your face is rounded, a modular helmet will work well because it has a hinge designed to enable you to lift it up around the face.
3. Is Properly Lined
The liner should be, as far as possible, properly lined. With a flexible liner, you will be able to move the liner around to alter how the modular helmet rubs against your head.
Overall, finding the best modular helmet isn’t as easy as it might seem. Although you’ll certainly be tempted to reach out for the cheapest option, you’d be better advised to go for something a bit highly priced if you want to enjoy the best features.
That said, the HJC IS-MAX II Modular Motorcycle Helmet (Matte Black, XX-Large) is out top choice. The sturdy design, the easy working mechanism, and the professional features it boasts all work hand in hand to deliver an excellent helmet.