Also referred to as open face helmets, 3/4 helmets are designed to protect the head while you are out riding. More particularly, the best 3/4 helmet will protect 3/4 of your head, including the head area, eyes, neck, and ears. As such, it works better than half helmets.
New advances in technology have ensured that the best 3/4 helmet now comes with modular configurations meaning that they feel like a full face helmet. That said, these types of helmets are beneficial because they will ensure that your field of view is clear, enabling you to enjoy excellent peripheral views.
Further, the construction means that you will enjoy the feeling of the wind on your face when you are out on the road. Some designs also come with face shields, which you can add or remove depending on what you require.
Best 3/4 Helmet Reviews:
The following are some of the best 3/4 helmets you will find on the market today:
1. Daytona Helmets Motorcycle Open Face Helmet Cruiser- Dull Black 100% DOT Approved
The D.O.T. DAYTONA CRUISER- DULL BLACK helmet comes with such sturdy construction that it has met and exceeded set DOT standards. In fact, it happens to be the smallest DOT-approved 3/4 helmet on the market, meaning that you should be able to make a bold statement with it while out on your motorcycle.
Available in three different shell sizes, you can be sure that there is a Daytona Cruiser helmet out there for every rider. While shopping for one, the chances of getting the right fit are quite high.
The D.O.T. DAYTONA CRUISER- DULL BLACK also comes with a removable bubble visor, which you can snap back on. There are also several color options, meaning that you should be able to find the right color to match your riding style and motorbike.
- The D.O.T. DAYTONA CRUISER- DULL BLACK helmet boasts moisture-wicking fabric to keep your head comfortable and fresh
- It comes with a Y-strap D-ring retention system made using nylon
- The nickel-plated steel rivets also add to the grace and class of this helmet
- It boasts a soft touch with a dull black finish, meaning it is visually pleasing
- However, the D.O.T. DAYTONA CRUISER- DULL BLACK helmet has a low profile
- The size charts can be confusing, so you should ensure you get the right size while buying it
- The chin strap would work better with a snap at the end
2. Core Helmets Hunter Safety Deluxe Open-Face Helmet (Orange, Small)
Ranked among the best 3/4 helmet, the Core Helmets Hunter Safety Deluxe Open-Face Helmet (Orange, Large) will cover your face in its entirety. This makes it ideal for riders looking for something that feels like a full-face helmet but doesn’t come with a face field.
In particular, the orange finish is brilliant and will protect your helmet over the long haul. This is because the manufacturer has used premium automotive paint on it, giving the helmet a beautiful hue.
This helmet also comes with five snaps that will accommodate a flat shield. There’s also a 3-snap bubble visor, which will prove useful when you are cruising at high speeds or if it is too cold to go out riding with an open face.
The Core Helmets Hunter Safety Deluxe Open-Face Helmet (Orange, Large) is clear coated, which means that it will still look good in case of scratches. Further, it comes with a plush and comfortable interior, as well as a reliable retention system.
- It has met and exceeded set DOT standards
- It is available in a wide variety of sizes, right from small all the way through to XXL
- It comes with a brilliantly durable and scratch-resistant finish
- The helmet also has a 3-snap bubble visor
- The interior is comfortable and attractive and features 2-tone brushed nylon
- However, the Core Helmets Hunter Safety Deluxe Open-Face Helmet (Orange, Large) you buy might fit too snugly so you should be sure it is the right size before you buy
3. TORC T50 Route 66 3/4 Helmet with ‘Black Flag’ Graphic (Flat Black, X-Large)
Lightweight in construction and boasting removable inner suede padding, the TORC T50 Route 66 3/4 Helmet with ‘Black Flag’ Graphic (Flat Black, X-Large) is one of the best 3/4 helmet on the market. You can even remove the inner padding, wash it, and replace it to ensure that your helmet always smells wonderful and nice.
Added to the above, the TORC T50 Route 66 3/4 Helmet with ‘Black Flag’ Graphic (Flat Black, X-Large) also boasts a removable sun visor, which you can use to ride out into the bright sunlight. However, the flat black coloring and the black flag graphics on this helmet give it a clear edge over others – especially if you are looking for a beautiful and stylish helmet.
- The TORC T50 Route 66 3/4 Helmet with ‘Black Flag’ Graphic (Flat Black, X-Large) is DOT certified
- It boasts a removable sun visor
- The inner padding made of suede is also removable and washable
- This is one of the best 3/4 helmet in terms of aesthetics
- However, for all its attractive features and qualities, the TORC T50 Route 66 3/4 Helmet with ‘Black Flag’ Graphic (Flat Black, X-Large) is quite pricey
4. LS2 Helmets 569 Track Solid Open Face Motorcycle Helmet with Sunshield (Matte Black, Large)
Another one of the best 3/4 helmet available for sale today, the LS2 Helmets 569 Track Solid Open Face Motorcycle Helmet with Sunshield (Matte Black, Large) is reliable and dependable. In particular, it is solidly constructed to deliver the unparalleled protection you might be looking for.
Although this helmet is protective, it will also provide you with a wide field of view thereby allowing you to see better whenever you are out on your motorcycle. Additionally, you can secure your helmet snugly by tying the embedded 3-point chin strap.
Interestingly, the LS2 Helmets 569 Track Solid Open Face Motorcycle Helmet with Sunshield (Matte Black, Large) also boasts an adjustable ventilation system – which means you can decide how much air you would like to come into the helmet whenever you go riding.
- This helmet will provide you with a relatively wide field of view
- The flip-up shield will protect your eyes
- The LS2 Helmets 569 Track Solid Open Face Motorcycle Helmet with Sunshield (Matte Black, Large) comes with a 3-point chin strap so you can fit it snugly over your head
- The ventilation is adjustable
- It is available in a variety of colors
- However, the padding on the LS2 Helmets 569 Track Solid Open Face Motorcycle Helmet with Sunshield (Matte Black, Large) isn’t as comfortable as you might prefer
- The face shield tends to fog easily
5. Fuel Helmets SH-WS0016 Open Face Helmet with Shield, Gloss Black, Large
Complete with a shield, the Fuel Helmets SH-WS0016 Open Face Helmet with Shield, Gloss Black, Large is last on this list of the best 3/4 helmet. It comes with a beautiful design, as well as attractive features to improve your riding comfort and experience.
Apart from the above, the Fuel Helmets SH-WS0016 Open Face Helmet with Shield, Gloss Black, Large will always protect you from all elements – including dust, dirt, and debris. This is because it has a removable shield.
- It comes in a wide variety of sizes, so you should be able to find the right one for you
- It has brow vents at the front, which will allow you to enjoy the wind when you go riding
- This helmet features the freedom of an open face, but with the same level of protection you’d get from a full face helmet
- The pivoting shield will protect your face from the elements
- The helmet boasts superior construction and lasting performance
- The pads on the Fuel Helmets SH-WS0016 Open Face Helmet with Shield, Gloss Black, Large are not removable, meaning that it is likely to get dirty and smelly with time
How 3/4 Helmets Work
Open face helmets are a popular option in between the half and the full face helmet design. Typically designed to cover the head up to the area below the ears and going all the way down to the chin around the sides
These types of helmets are different from full face helmets because most of them don’t have a wrap around the chin or a full face construction.
The main benefit associated with the best 3/4 helmet revolves around the large field of view they provide. Further, you will be able to touch your face, eat, or do anything else on your face without having to remove the helmet.
This means that open face helmets will work well for you if you are averted to the constricted freedom offered by full face models.
Factors To Look For While Shopping For The Best 3/4 Helmet
You might want to invest in the best 3/4 helmet in terms of safety. However, many other factors should feature in your purchase decision. These include comfort, size, and shape, as well as the construction of interior lining. Other factors include:
1. Inbuilt Visor
First, check whether the helmet you are interested in comes with an inbuilt visor. Many riders prefer buying a helmet with a half visor that they can flip down when they need just to cover the eyes. Others prefer getting helmets with a full visor to cover the entire face and protect the head from gushing winds.
Of course, there’s a select segment of the market that would only buy the best 3/4 helmet if they don’t have a visor. These shoppers prefer riding open faced, or with motorcycle goggles.
If the helmet you are considering has a removable visor, it will accommodate all the choices explained above.
Even the best 3/4 helmet will sound noisier than the other helmet options available in the marketplace. This happens because open face helmets are designed in such a way that they lack the aerodynamics to ward off any noise.
However, if you shop around, you might come across a helmet that is relatively quiet in comparison to other open faced helmets. Therefore, if you are looking for something to help you ride smoothly and silently, you might want to take your time while shopping.
The best 3/4 helmet should only make it in your final short list if they match your style and preferences. This is one of the reasons why many riders will only invest in a helmet that features the aesthetics they like, or which are similar to their tastes.
Top Reasons To Buy An Open Face Helmet
Every rider should have a proper helmet and use it whenever they go out on the road. Depending on your location, the law might even require that you always have your helmet on every time you ride.
More importantly, however, wearing a helmet is for your good. The best 3/4 helmet, for instance, will protect your head from certain damage and injury in case you get into an accident.
Since there are so many options available in the market, why would you invest in an open faced helmet? Here’s why:
If ventilation ranks highly on your priority list, then you might want to get the best 3/4 helmet. Since these helmets are open faced, it follows that they will provide you with enough air. This is particularly helpful in the hot, sweltering months of summer.
The helmet will also leave your face exposed every time you go riding. This means that you will feel the cold air on your face, which will minimize the chances that you will sweat.
3/4 helmets are also convenient, especially if you are looking for something that will allow you to drink or eat without removing the helmet.
While most traditional helmets are designed to cover the face in its entirety, the best 3/4 helmets leave the face open. As such, there will be no hindrance to your mouth when you stop for a quick meal.
Open face helmets are ideal for riders looking for improved visibility. With one, there will be no obstructions close to your eyes. This means that you can easily ride without worrying that your line of vision will be blocked.
However, if you are worried that the design of these types of helmets will cause dust and other particles to get into your eyes, you might want to invest in riding goggles or sunglasses.
Over and above everything else, the best 3/4 helmet will allow you to cruise on the open roads with superior style and maximum visibility.
Even if you prefer the full face helmet because of its protection, you can still get an open face as a backup or as your secondary helmet. It will serve you well on those days when you would like to ride open faced.
However, as you shop for these types of helmets, the wide variety of options available on the marketplace might overwhelm you. This guide will provide you with the best recommendations to ensure that this does not happen.
So, there you have it – the best 3/4 helmet for 2017. Each of the options above is unique in construction, features, protection, and styling. However, they all work well to deliver the quality of an open face helmet you might be looking for.
Our best option, however, is the LS2 Helmets 569 Track Solid Open Face Motorcycle Helmet with Sunshield (Matte Black, Large) mainly because riders can adjust the ventilation and it has a shield. As such, it provides the freedom of an open face helmet, but with the same protection you’d get from a full face.
That said, all these options are great, so you shouldn’t go wrong with any.
If you enjoyed this review, please feel free to comment below. You can also share the content with other Harley owners to spread the word.