Looking for the best motorcycle oil? Then you are in the right place. The oil you use in your engine is your bike’s lifeblood. As such, it provides critical cooling and lubrication for your motorcycle’s internal combustion.
Further, both conventional and synthetic engine oils serve to prevent corrosion, keep the internal components clean, and improve your motorcycle’s overall performance. Since bikes tend to operate at high temperatures and RPMs – especially in comparison to trucks and cars – it only makes sense that you ought to use oil that was specially made for bikes. Read on to learn more about the best motorcycle oils:
Oil is essential as it plays a critical function in your motorcycle performance. Just like human beings breathe in oxygen, the same case applies to your motorbike. Oil is like oxygen for your motorcycle’s engine. Oils help the engine run smoothly by lubricating it, cleaning the pipes, and preventing your bike from overheating or seizing.
Therefore, it is necessary to ensure you pick the best motorcycle oil for your bike since it heavily depends on it. This is because not any oil will take good care of your bike’s engine. Some cheap engine oils may even harm your engine.
As the number of motorcycles increases on the market yearly, so do the oils. The market is flooded with numerous motorcycle engine oils, with each manufacturer claiming that its oil is the best hence making it difficult to choose the best oil from the many brands. But you don’t have to worry. We have provided you with the best motorcycle oils to help you make a sound decision when purchasing oils for your motorbike.
Top Picks : 5 Best Motorcycle Oil For 2023 – Reviews And Buying Guide
Top 10 Best Motorcycle Oil Reviews- 2023
1. Castrol 06112 POWER 1 4T 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
Castrol is a famous brand known for many decades. It has survived on the market because it offers excellent performance to motorcycles and it is affordable. The oil is designed for 4-stroke motorcycles to give them a superior acceleration with just a throttle touch. It also helps to minimize internal engine friction. The oil boosts your bike’s performance by promoting the engine transmission quality, thanks to the race-derived technology.
The motorcycle oil is formulated with tri-zone technology to protect the engine itself, gearbox, and clutch. The oil comes in two grades, which include 10W-40 and 20W-50. The motorcycle oil changes viscosity when your bike is put through any mechanical stress. It exceeds the industry specifications standards of API SL and JASO MA-2.
- Fully synthetic: the motorcycle oil works best for people with 4-stroke bikes with engines that run on high efficiency.
- Versatility: interestingly, this motor oil is perfect for all bikes. You can use this oil in bikes with the engine is 4-stroke without worries.
- Internal friction reduction: the product can minimize the internal friction in the engines. You can accelerate your bike with just a touch of the throttle.
- Prevent engines from getting contaminated: this oil keeps engines away from debris as you use it regularly. It also enhances the performance of the bike for a longer time.
- Best for engines in awful condition: if you are worried about your engine’s bad conditions, then use this formula since it works efficiently in a better condition.
- Compatible with multiple models
- Protects the engine from dirt and soot
- Superior acceleration
- Keeps the engine lubricated
- Ideal for 4-stroke motorcycle
- Not meant for 2-stroke engines
- It does not work on cars and other vehicles
2. HONDA 08C35-A141L01 Honda Pro GN4 Motor Oil
Honda Pro GN4 Motor Oil was manufactured after the company introduced GN4 some years back and was designed to meet motorcycle and ATV engines’ requirements. Its formulation enhances shear stability and viscosity stability, preventing premature breakdown, which might be brought by using the product for an extended period. As a result, the drain period will be prolonged.
The oil also helps to clean the engine to ensure it operates smoothly and quietly. However, this oil is ideal for casual riders whose motorcycles are recommended to use a stable mineral-based lubricant.
- Universal oil: you can use this product on other motors in the ATV category apart from the Honda engines.
- The viscosity index of 10-40W: the motor oil is designed to reduce foaming. Thanks to its extraordinary stability despite the temperature you use in the ATV.
- It comes in one gallon: with this motorcycle oil, it can last for long since you need to use a little amount. It is also effective.
- Additive technology: due to its addictive technology, the oil provides maximum protection if the engine and other parts.
- Operate smoothly: amazingly, your motorcycle can move smoothly without any soot, dirt, and other contaminants that damage the components.
- It is a quality formula
- Offer better viscosity stability, shear resistance, and cleanliness
- Ideal for wet clutch four wheelers
- Last long
- Offer maximum protection to the engine and other vital parts
3. Yamalube All Purpose 4 Four Stroke Oil
Yamalube is an all-purpose and multi-grade oil that you can use in all temperatures. It’s suitable for all 4-stroke ATVs, motorcycles, scooters, side-by-side vehicles, lawnmowers, among other engine-based machines. Plus, the oil is sold at relatively low rates since it’s mineral oil. According to its manufacturer, Yamaha, the oil meets JASO MA requirements.
The oil helps maintain the wet-clutch application’s efficiency since it prevents some residues from building up in the clutch plates and limits heat transmission in the clutch assembly. Additionally, it has anti-friction properties that help to lubricate and clean your bike’s engine, valves, crankshaft, clutches, and pistons to ensure they remain in good condition. The oil comes in a 1-gallon bottle that is more than enough for a complete oil change for your bike. Note that this oil has a short-term drain interval compared to other synthetic blends. It’s not ideal for bikes with high horsepower since they won’t handle robust operating conditions.
- The viscosity of 10-40 W: the product can be used during summer and has great resistance to high temperatures. It can also withstand low temperatures in winter.
- It is made of mineral oil base: the product provides better clutch performance. This feature protects the engine from wear and tear.
- Versatility: you can use this oil in various engines, including your car, ATV, motorcycle, and boat, among others.
- One-gallon: it lasts for a wheel since you need to apply a small amount, and it is highly effective than other motorcycle oils.
- Lasts long
- Clean additives
- Suitable for both summer and winter
- Protects the engine from wear and tear
- It can be used in different engines
4. Royal Purple 01316 Max Cycle 20W-50 High-Performance Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
The oil will enable your engine to run smoothly for enhanced horsepower compared to other oils. The Synerlec additive technology boosts the film strength and shear properties, giving your bike longer drain intervals. Plus, it helps to decrease friction in the engine part, preventing premature engine tear and wear.
The oil is a great choice for bikes with catalytic converters since it has less zinc content. It meets APA viscosity specifications; hence it prevents bike transfer slippage with wet-clutch applications. The oil is also JASO MA-certified. Royal Purple oil comes in six-packs, meaning you will not go back to the shop anytime soon after purchasing it. However, the six-packs make the oil expensive; therefore, be ready to dig deep into your pocket.
- Compatible with other engine oils: this oil is compatible with other engine oil, mineral, and synthetic, so no need to flush out your old oil before using it.
- It enhances performance: the product will protect and keep away contaminants hence improving your engine performance.
- High-quality synthetic base oils and additives provide a greater film of up to 400% compared to other products.
- Wear and oxidation resistance: It improves cylinder, ring, and bearing wear, oxidation resistance, and provides greater shear stability.
- Lubricate and cool engines
- Used in 4-stroke engines
- It keeps the engine clean
- Protects the engine and other crucial parts from corrosion and rust
- Increase engine efficiency
- A bit pricey
- Its thick features make it only great for higher temperatures.
5. Mobil 20W-50 V-Twin Motorcycle Motor Oil
This is a great fully synthetic motorcycle oil on the market. It offers superior performance in your bike’s engine with a transmission lubrication system or standard engine. Additionally, the oil provides better friction characteristics that are suitable for transmission systems or wet-clutch engines.
According to the manufacturer, Mobil 1 96936 20W-50 V-Twin Synthetic Motorcycle Motor Oil exceeds the API requirements and is fully tested and approved to offer maximum horsepower and acceleration. This means that the oil will protect your motorcycle in extreme situations, which other conventional oils cannot handle. This oil’s formulations are designed for unique motorcycles’ requirements since they can withstand extreme heat generated by high-revving bike engines and the toughest riding conditions. The oil will clean, lubricate, and cool your motorcycle’s engine, and come in a pack of six bottles.
- Viscosity between 20W -50: the motor oil has a thickness of 20 at low temperatures and 50 at normal temperature.
- Versatility: you can use this 20W-50 motorcycle oil in other components apart from the engine, such as chain and transmission.
- Great lubricator: the product is designed to provide frictional features vital for wet-clutch engines and transmission systems.
- Balanced formulation: the lubricant keeps the 4-stroke engines clean from contaminants. It also increases the lifespan of the engine and other parts.
- Improves performance
- It can be used in engines and other components
- Doesn’t discolor
- Make motorcycle operate quietly
- Improves service life
- Not ideal for other products apart from Harley bikes
6. MaximaHiflofiltro VTTOCK24 Complete Engine Oil Change Kit
This oil is a blend of petroleum base stocks and ester-based synthetic that feature advanced technology. It has a high-temperature formula that protects your motorcycle’s engine’s crucial components and reduces wear and oil consumption. Plus, the oil also decreases the engine’s temperature, and friction extends drain intervals and comes in a pack of six bottles.
The new anti-shear additives provide better viscosity stability for all V-Twin engines. The formula also has additional anti-scuffs additives that help to handle peak temperatures and extreme loads. Besides that, the oil offers superior protection against viscosity loss, shock loads, and wear. Also, the oil protects gears from wear and allows a trouble-free operation.
The active surface chemistry coupled with extreme pressure additives allows smooth shifting under RPMs and peak loads. Additionally, the robust formula helps to resist oil’s heat breakdown and mechanical shearing. The oil is made with the world’s highest quality materials that help to give your motorcycle a longer service life than other brands. It features a 17mm cross-drilled nut for easy removal, installation, and lock wiring.
- Mineral-based motor oil: this feature makes the oil great for high-performance transmission systems and chaincases.
- Synthetic blend: the product features an exceptionally high temperature to protect essential engine parts, reduces friction, temperature, wear, and oil consumption.
- High-quality material: this engine oil is made from high-quality material, increasing the engine service life than others.
- Easy to use: Besides, the transmission and gear oil feature a 17mm cross-drilled nut for east removal, locking wiring, and installation.
- High performance
- Viscosity stability
- It makes the bike last longer
- Reduces wear, friction, and oil consumption
- Easy to use
- Sold in pack of 6
7. Mobil 1 98JA11 10W-40 Racing 4T Motorcycle Oil
The oil is formulated to keep your bike’s engine in peak condition for optimal power and long life. It offers maximum protection in extreme riding conditions and provides better transmissions for sportbikes and cruisers.
Its unique formulation provides high output by keeping your motorcycle’s engine clean and from clutch and transmission protection. Plus, the oil also lubricates and cools the engines and comes in a pack of six bottles.
The oil has additives for increased engine horsepower and decreased metal parts’ friction. Besides, the oil offers special protection for engines with higher horsepower or high compression.
- Shear stability: the motorcycle oil tends to be shearing stable to provide a protective oil film for gears, bearings, piston rings, among others.
- Thermal stability: with the 10W- 40 engine oil, thermal stability reduces oxidation and high-temperature degradation.
- Great for lubrication: you don’t need to worry about the engine since this product enhances lubrication which maximizes power and accelerates the engine’s life.
- Low-temperature flow feature: it comes with a low-temperature flow feature that helps minimize engine wear while starting up.
- Perfect for on-road and off-road motorcycle
- Provides maximum power output
- Ultimate engine protection
- Optimized for high temperatures.
- The packaging problem may cause leakage.
8. Lucas Oil 10702-PK6 High-Performance Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil
The oil is manufactured by Lucas, which is an American-based company. This is fully synthetic oil and is designed to be used with wet clutches. Therefore, look for another formula for your non-wet clutch applications. It helps to offer superior mechanical performance compared to other conventional oils. Plus, it provides increased gas mileage and decreased engine wear at extreme temperatures.
The oil’s complex production method makes the oil to be more expensive than traditional oils. The oil will also help to boost compression and seal piston rings to attain superior power. It will keep your engine clean even after riding for thousands of miles. Also, this synthetic oil makes the shifting gears smoother. The oil comes in a pack of six for complete oil use.
- The viscosity of 20W- 50: the motorcycle oil uses a viscosity rating of 20 operating in winter and a viscosity rate of 50 during normal temperature.
- Versatility: it is designed to be used in the clutch, engine, and gearbox. You can consider this lubricant if you want to use it in various applications.
- Synthetic nature: its synthetic nature makes it ideal for high-performance engines, reduces engine wear, and improves gas mileage and component life spans.
- Full synthetic formula: the motorcycle oil has a longer life and is resistant to high temperatures when compared to others.
- It can be used on different components
- Reduces engine noise
- It makes it smooth to change gear
- Work perfectly on high and low temperatures
- It doesn’t work for all bikes
- Leakage may occur
9. Kawasaki 4-Stroke Motorcycle Engine Oil
Are you looking for cost-effective motorcycle oil? Search none other than Kawasaki 4-Stroke Motorcycle Engine Oil 10W40. The oil has an extraordinary engine and bearing wear protection. The oil will also give your motorcycle a prolonged engine life via decreased oil volatility and enhanced engine cleanliness.
Besides that, the oil offers increased shift quality through improved clutch or transmission performance and reliability. The oil is recommended for applications that need API SL & CF, JASO MA, and JASO MA2 engine oil and comes in 1 gallon.
- Better engine protection: the 4-stroke engine oil provides engine and other parts protection. Thus, the service life is longer.
- Versatility: you can use this motorcycle oil in applications that need JASO MA, API SL, and JASO MA2 engines.
- Improved shift quality: you are assured of enhanced transmission, clutch performance, and engine dependability.
- Prolonged engine life: maximum engine cleanliness and reduced oil volatility ensure long engine life.
- It makes the engine service for long
- Improves clutch and engine performance
- Engine and bearing protection
- Package tend to leak
10. Maxima (349128 Premium4 10W-40 Motorcycle Engine Oil
It is an excellent product that features advanced additive technology that ensures the oil is highly stable and offers a long-life engine. The exclusive blend of advanced anti-wear and anti-shear additives provide high viscosity stability for all air and water-cooled 4-cycle engines with integrated transmissions.
The superior formula also contains more anti-scuff additives that help handle peak temperatures and extreme loads in high-performance engines. It is better formulated for wet clutches; hence seek another formula for non-wet clutches.
All the weather formula is ideal in reducing friction and engine temperatures, making your bike have easier starts. The oil is Turbo-certified and exceeds all JASO MA requirements.
- Offer protection: with this engine oil, you don’t need any extra care since it does it for you. It also ensures a smooth driving experience.
- Additive technology: it features advanced additive technology support in all weather conditions and long oil life.
- Ideal for 4-stroke engines: you can use it in all types of 4-stroke engines, whether water or air-cooled. You will not have to worry about maintaining the viscosity level.
- Great engine oil: it is a blend of petroleum base stocks, great wear protection, and shear strength additives.
- Ideal for all types of 4-stroke engines
- Lubricates and protects the components of the engine
- Provides more support in all weathers conditions
- It stays clean for a long time
- Ensures a smooth driving experience
How To Pick The Best Motorcycle Oil
That said, the compliant standards, grade, and material of motorcycle oil mark its quality and category type. These features also determine the type of bike you can use the oil inside.
To make the right decision; therefore, it is imperative that you check every technical specification. You should also pick the motor oil that is best suited for your bike and riding needs. Depending on how the oil was produced, the following are the main categories of motorcycle oils:
- Mineral Oil
Mineral oils are made using petroleum by-products. They were the first types of oils in the industry before synthetic lubricants started being sold. Today, this kind of oil still has its benefits – such as the fact that they are the best options for vintage and old bikes, small capacity engines, and brand new bikes before easing the new engine into synthetic lubricants.
That said, even the best motorcycle oils in this category tend to burn faster and have to get changed on a regular basis. However, they do provide better protection and are pretty affordable.
- Semi-Synthetic Oil
The evolution of the bike engine created a need for high-performance motorcycle oils. Today, synthetic oils last longer, attract tons of active motorcycle oil reviews and are effective even for high-performance engines.
If you have a medium weight ride in the 125 to 180 cc range, then you might want to reach out for synthetic motor oils. These oils also work well for final engine run in stages.
Semi-synthetics are also effective because they provide the ideal chemical balance as well as the protection coming from mineral oils combined with the performance that synthetic oil provides.
- Synthetic Oil
Most synthetic motorcycle oils are factory-made and based on polymers. Entirely artificial, these oils are not natural in any way. Therefore, they don’t tend to disintegrate – which gives them a longer shelf life.
That said, these types of oils are the best for use in stressful conditions and when you need your bike to be at its ultimate performance. After your bike’s odometer starts reading in the thousands of kilometers, it is highly likely that your mechanic will recommend that you switch to full synthetic motorcycle oils.
After the engine settles down, it will start performing better, and you’ll enjoy improved run-in time. At this point, you will be best advised to start on synthetic motorcycle oil to boost your bike’s performance further.
Another thing to note about synthetic oils is that they will ensure that your engine, clutch, and gear are well lubricated and continue working smoothly and without vibrations.
Factors To Consider While Buying The Motorcycle Oil
Although you might not be an expert at motorcycle oils, you need to understand such technical specifications as the grading system of engine oils. With this knowledge, you will be better placed to decide on the best oil for your bike – especially if you’ve read many reviews of different oils.
For instance, alongside the motorcycle oil, you’ll see a number and a W – such as 10W40, 20W50, and so on. This number-word combination denotes the oil grading – which you will come to understand better after you’ve gone through enough reviews.
A good example is 20W50. The W, in this case, refers to winter while the 20 refers to the low-temperature count and the 50 stands for the suitability of the oil in high temperatures.
To this end, if you live in a cold climate, then the number right before the W should be as small as humanly possible. Only by using such oils will you be able to ensure that the oil retains its viscosity even at low temperatures.
- Compliant Standards
Before you buy any oil because you think it is the best motorcycle oil, you need to read the standards that have been recommended by the bike’s manufacturer. To this end, most bike manuals recommend JASO, SAE, and API certifications as the actual marks of quality where bike oils are concerned.
The oil you end up buying should depend entirely on the motorcycle type you have, as well as the conditions you will be riding in. As far as possible, your bike should be the primary determinant of the category grading you pick.
For instance, if you have an American cruiser or a sports bike, then the 20W50 grading might prove to be the best. However, if you ride an imported cruiser, then you might want to reach out for a 10W40.
On the other hand, if you ride a classic, your best bet would be to stick with mineral oils. A good example would be an old Harley, which would require reliable weight lubrication. With such a bike, 50W would work well.
Viscosity refers to the thickness of your motorcycle oil. After reading the manual from your bike’s manufacturer, you will be better placed to understand the different recommendations for different times of the year.
Over and above everything else, you should never reach out for the cheapest motorcycle oil. You really cannot afford to comprise on quality where the health, lubrication, and wellbeing of your bike is concerned.
Is fully synthetic oil better for motorcycles?
Of course, yes, the fully synthetic oil tends to be more versatile and easier to use than others. It tends to be more efficient and long service life. Plus, it is perfect for people who don’t change the oil regularly. Besides, you can use this synthetic oil for winter and withstand higher temperatures, unlike other oils. It is also better for those engines that use different oils. It also enhances cleanliness and reduces oil consumption. Lastly, synthetic oil minimizes frictions and boosts the vehicle’s engine.
What is the best 10W40 Motorcycle Oil?
Castrol Power 1 Synthetic Engine Oil is formulated to ensure fast flow and prolonged service life, reducing engine friction even in harsh conditions. Also, you can use the engine oil in 3 vital components, including the gearbox, clutch, and engine.
At higher temperatures, the synthetic engine oil provides air-cooled performance as well as maximizing engine acceleration. If you love racing or riding, then Castrol Power 1 10W-40 Synthetic 4T Motorcycle Oil will produce extra acceleration at the touch of the throttle. Besides, the engine oil exceeds the API, JASO MA2, and SL requirements.
Can I use 20W50 oil on my motorcycle?
Yes, you can consider 20W-50 oil if you use it in an area with higher temperatures. The formula tends to keep the engine cool, reduces internal friction, and ensures quiet operation. This type of oil will suit you best if you are in higher temperatures or ride for long. Its thermal properties have a high viscosity rating, hence keeping the engine cool to maintain performance.
Is thicker oil better for older engines?
Yes. You can opt for thicker oil in your older engine because it improves oil pressure. The higher the viscosity, the more you will protect worn bearings, clutch, and other components. Another important reason is that when the oil is added to the engine, it will not leak or throw excess smoke out. For hot weather, thicker oil works best.
Can thick oil damage the engine?
Yes, it can since oil plays an essential role in lubricating the engine and its components. If you use thick oil, your engine will be damaged due to internal engine friction. To avoid damaging the engine, make sure the oil is not too thick or thin. In case you realize the oil is viscous, it is advisable to remove it and fill it with the ideal oil to ensure the engine’s safety.
Motorcycle oil plays a significant role in ensuring your bike’s engine is well lubricated, clean, and runs smoothly. However, before purchasing any motorcycle oil, ensure you carefully check the service manual to see the drain intervals. You should replace your engine oil after every 2000 miles if you use natural oil and 5000 miles if you are using fully synthetic oil.
Besides that, ensure you change the oil filter when you are replacing the oil for your engine’s improved performance and efficiency. Don’t use additives for long, and if the oil you are using is blended with additives and at the same time you are using additives, then those additives don’t add value to your engine.
As you go about looking for the best motorcycle oils, therefore, you might want to consider giving any of the above a try. As long as the oil you choose meets the user instructions from your bike’s manufacturer, is affordable, and has sterling reviews online and from mechanics, then you should pick it.