Replacing or swapping your bike cable is a simple task that you can complete at home. It is part of routine bike repair to keep it running smoothly. If you spot a frayed cable, particularly near the cable anchor, your bike cable will need to be replaced.
Using the right and powerful method, replacing your bike cable can be a breeze. When the cable becomes worn, sticky, and frayed, the only choice is to replace it and break it free. To get the job done correctly, you’ll need some simple equipment, such as new wires, ferrules, and a bike cable cutter.
As a result, the best bike cable cutter we’ve mentioned below can make your job quick and convenient. When fixing your bike, you can get a smooth and quick cut with these cutters.
Top Picks : 5 Best Bike Cable Cutters
Top 10 Best Bike Cable Cutters Reviews- 2021
1. BikeTool Bicycle Bike Chain Master Missing Link Pliers Remover.
If you find that your bike cable and cable housing are worn out and need to be replaced, you can use this BikeTool bicycle cable cutter. The cutting jaws of this cable cutter are made of industrial steel and are sharp and solid to help easily cut cables.Apart from cutting wires, it can also be used for a series of other activities such as cable reaming, spare master link, chaining fast link switch, and clamping inner cover.
It is an effective cutting tool that you can use while fixing your bike cables, as shown by its amazing features. With its sharp and strong blades, it is designed to provide superior cutting results.However, it is also on the expensive side. Furthermore, it has sufficient sharpness and toughness to ensure a precise and effective cut. Because of the high-quality stainless steel used, the cutter is sufficiently strong. It is safe and easy to use this cutter when fixing your bike.
1. 5 in 1 cable cutter – This cable cutter is not limited to only cables but can be equally utilized in more tasks such as cable reaming and many more.
2. Less costly tool – In addition to being a useful and convenient tool to use, it is also fairly priced to enable you to manage its cost.
3. Quality – It is created with nice crimpers for the cable ends which helps produce not only pinpoint but cleaner looking crimps.
1. Great inexpensive tool.
2. Easy to use.
4. It has sharp jaws for clean cuts.
5. Great multi-use tool.
1. It lacks the master link even though the paperwork shows that it is included.
2. Park Tool CN-10 Professional Bicycle Cable and Housing Cutter
This bike cable cutting tool has all a biker would need to fix the tool. It is at the top of our list due to its precise and tidy cable cut. It has excellent cutting strength, making your work simple and fast. Furthermore, it is designed for both cable and housing, especially the difficult-to-cut shift housing.Cutting the bike cable is a breeze with its amazing cutting jaws. The jaws of the cutter are cold-forged for high accuracy and superb cutting. It is designed for strength and has a high degree of durability; even bike repair shops tend to use this cable cutter. Although it is long-lasting, one of its disadvantages is that it is heavy to use.
Another aspect that this bicycle cutter has is heat treated steel handles. It aids in the development of grip and strength, allowing for more precise and effective cutting. Since these handles are easy to grab and click, you can never be hurt by using them.This best bicycle cable cutter has a crimper for cable end caps. It can also be used to make holes for housing ends and ferrules. The cutter also has a wire latch that holds the jaws intact when not in operation. Even in idle mode, you can be certain that this cutter is secure.
1. Durable – Created with heat treated steel handles, this cutter is without strong enough to withstand any pressure that may cause it to break.
2. Precise cutting – For clean and amazing cable cuts, this tool is created with amazing cutting jaws that does its job well.
3. Built-in Crimper – this feature not only enables you to form holes for reforming house ends but also for crimping cable end caps.
1. Designed for use on all bicycles.
2. Made to last for long.
3. It has a wire latch to hold handles together when not in use,
4. Precise and clean cut on every cable.
5. Great Quality.
1. Sometimes it does not produce clean cuts on cables.
3. Crescent H.K. Porter Wire/Cable Cutter
Are you a tanker driver and looking for a cable cutter to quickly cut cable seals of the loads? This best bike cable cutter alternative can do that work for you. Even though it is designed to be used while repairing your bike and replacing the cable, this impressive tool can still be utilized in cutting cable seals in truck or tanker loads
It is realistic and long-lasting, resulting in a smooth and precise cut. When you use this as a cutter, you will find that the cable no longer frays and the end is impressively flattened. In particular, it can be used for general cutting, shear blade cutting, soft and hard steel cable cutting, wire rope cutting, and small ACSR cutting. These cutters, however, cannot be used on energized circuits, rope, or cable.To protect your hand from damage while utilizing them, it is made of the most comfortable vinyl grips. Furthermore, if you are wondering if it can still work on heavy duty stuff, then it is well designed and made to withstand the most demanding jobs ever.
1. High quality – Created by renowned manufacturers, there is no doubt that this cutter is well enhanced to give you nothing but accurate and clean cuts. In addition, the cuts are sharp without any distortion to the cable or the wire, Besides, it features cushion grips for easy and firm gripping.
2. Heavy duty – For those who do most demanding tasks like having to cut cable seals from tanker or truck loads, then this cutter is ideal for them.
3. Portable – Created to be compact and pocket size, you can easily place it inside your pocket and travel with it wherever you want especially when you cycle around. When anything bad happens with your cable you will be ready to cut them and fix.
1. Top Quality.
2. Easy to use.
4. Produces sharp cuts with minimal distortion.
5. Comes with comfortable red vinyl grips.
1. Cannot be used on electrified circuits, wires or cables.
4. Pedro’s Bicycle Cable Cutter
This bike brake cable cutter is an excellent choice if you want a low-cost but extremely dependable bike cable cutter. This package provides both consistency and reliability at a lower cost. It is built with a power cut to make bike repair simple and safe.This cutter is also useful because it can cut both the brake cable and the bike cable housing at the same time. It is a stylish and well-made cable cutter designed for standard bike cables. However, if you use this for shift housing, it will have a clean and splitting cut rather than the flattened cut you want.
This cutter should not disappoint in terms of blade and cutting edges. The blades are sharp enough to pierce the tough cable stuff. The rubberized yellow handle ensures a safe grip even when cutting rough cable material.It has a lock mechanism that can be easily operated by one hand. When cutting, the other hand should be used to secure the cable in place. It provides average value at a very low cost, making it ideal for bike home repair and maintenance at home. It is not used for technical cutting, especially in bike service centers, because it is easily worn out due to repeated use.
1. Easy to use – For beginners who have no idea of how to use a bike cable cutter and wish to start using it, then they can try out with this one. It is small and simple enough for anyone to begin using it,
2. Durable – With cushioned handles and heat treated steel cut cables, there is no doubt that this cutter can go for long without getting damaged.
3. Relatively cheap – If you are looking for something that is quality yet affordable, then this fairly priced cutter is suitable for you.
1. It is an affordable cable cutter.
2. The quality and durability is great.
3. Produces clean cuts.
4. Easy to use.
5. Can be used for professional crimping.
6. It is a very slick and well made unit.
1. They cut brake housings with a small bend.
5. Hetai Heavy Duty Wire Cutters Steel Cable Cutter
If you haul hazmat tankers for a living, you understand how difficult it is to cut through sealed and secured thick cables. However, this cable cutter is coming to your rescue. With these you can cut through pretty any cable thus making your job extremely easier. It is made with special shearing-blade design to make it easy for you to trim cableRail cable. As if it is not enough, it is reinforced with durable hardened still to make it more durable. Besides, the handles are made of sure-grip handles to not easily slip off when you try to use it.
Furthermore, it is one of the essential tools when installing a cable railing system. The cut bike cables cleanly and quickly. This cutter requires little hand force due to its high transmission ratio with the opening spring. With one hand you can finish all the cutting. It is as well light and compact enough for you to carry around everywhere you want to go. It’s a capable tool that cuts cleanly up to its rated wire gauge. This can be used in a range of applications ranging from multi-strand gardening wire to preparing bicycle cable, brake cables, and motorcycle cable where clean cuts are needed. Maintenance is minimal, requiring only a drop or two of oil and a wipe-down every now and then.
1. Compact design- Created to be pocket size and lightweight, you can be to carry along with you whenever you want to travel with it.
2. Quality – It is made to deliver nothing short of clean, square, cold and perfect cut every time you utilize it in cutting bike cables.
3. Affordable – This cutter is relatively less costly and hence it is pocket friendly.
1. Long lasting.
2. Compact design.
3. Easily portable.
4. Easy to use.
5. Can be used in a variety of applications
1. Springed handles do not automatically open.
6. SunyouBicycle Mountain Bike Inner Outer Brake Gear Wire Cable Spoke Cutter
If you are looking for a perfect cable that can be used in cutting bike brake cables, then this is the perfect choice for you. The appearance of this cutter is the perfect combination of a red rubber handle and black steel jaws.The alternating hardened blades have a sheer and full slash, which is the best feature of this bike cutter. You don’t have to be concerned about the bike cutter’s incomplete and unflattened use. This cable cutter prevents flattening, fanning, and splaying. It is the perfect cutter to use anytime you want to patch your bike at home.
When you use the right tool, such as this cable and house cutter, you will find that it provides a precise and proper cut. It is also flexible in that it can cut various forms of wire. You can cut square, oval, and cold cables and still get a good cut. It is just designed to cut bike cables.
1. Quality – With the ability to cut both the inner and outer bike cables, spoke and brake cables besides penetrating through the blocked inner cable, this repair too is the true definition of quality bike cable cutter.
2. Strong- Manufactured from stainless steel materials, there is no doubt that this cutter is likely to last long before it gets destroyed.
3. Affordable – If you are looking for a bike cable cutter that is budget friendly, this can be a great option for you. Its prices are fairly low and any one can manage its costs.
1. Less costly.
2, Works well on cables.
3, It is quite strong.
4, Small add-on that has a small poking piece, very useful for opening the housing after cutting.
5. The crimping feature works well.
1. Not sharp enough to cut through Jagwire housing very cleanly.
7. Feedback Sports Bike Cable and Housing Cutter
At the core of each bike are flush-cut housing , and neatly cut and crimped cables. The Cable and Housing Tool handles these assignments with exactness and elegance. With the cool manufactured, solidified CrV apparatus steel arms and exactness confronted cutting jaws, even the stiffest even gets an ideal cut without fail.When not in operation, the built-in crimper perfectly secures housing ferrules and cable end-caps, and a closure lock protects the jaws. These cutter-crimpers are ideal for both novice and experienced mechanics.
Designed by a well-known firm that has been in the industry for nearly 60 years, there is no wonder that the designs they produce are nothing short of something that can make working on your bike fun and intuitive.Moreover, the designs are engineered with ergonomic holds that advance solace and control during the trickiest help arrangement. It is a unique device that is made to offer consistent usage by new mechanics or even the most prepared veteran.
1. Clean cuts – If you have been lately looking for the best bike cable housing cutter that can give you nothing but clean cuts, then this is the thing to go for. It creates perfect cable cuts preventing frayed and damaged ends.
2. Sharp and strong Jaws- In the event that you have given up with bike cable cutters just because they break too easily, then I invite you to try this one more time. This is unique because it is made of precision-faced cutting jaws that are not only sharp but sturdy enough to prevent cable and housing distortion.
3. Cold forged – This feature together with hardened CRV tool steel arms prevent flex making easier to cut cables. Besides, this tool creates amazingly capped cables without the risk of damaging the ends.
1. It is cold-forged for easier cuts.
2. It creates perfect cable cuts.
3. It has sharp and strong cutting jaws.
4. Delivers clean cuts.
5. It can create capped cables.
1. It is a little bit expensive
8. Feedback Sports Bike Cable and Housing Cutter
you are looking to repair your vent mesh and you want the best bike cable cutter that can accomplish the assignment well, then this is the one for you. Besides its amazing quality, this tool is the best in slicing and grabbing. It is designed to be strong enough to help you cut steel wires. For truck drivers, who want to unload sealed loads and need to cut the cable seals, it makes use of this cutter. Even though it is designed for steel wires, it can still be reused to cut steel cables. It is an excellent cutter capable of helping you cut both soft and hard steel cable or wire rope. To save you a lot of effort, it is loaded with a nice spring. Besides, the cutting blades are treated with heat for fast formation.
When it comes to the grid, this cutter has the best grip ever enabling you to handle various tasks seamlessly. Unlike others which are quickly affected with rust, this cutter is specially designed with an electroplated handle solely to resist rusting. That way, you can be assured of long use. Furthermore, it is designed for one-handed operation, which makes it more safe, durable and rustproof.
1. Durable- Unlike other cable cutters, this is the best cable cutter that is with an electroplated handle and strong PVC handles to make it excellently long lasting.
2. Perfect Grip- To enhance th of this tool, it is made with its handle coated with vinyl to make it nearly impossible to slip.
3. SAFETY LOCK DESIGN- The thumb catch is optimized for one-handed use, making it more secure, long-lasting, and rustproof. Spring roll that saves time and is simple to use. This is a fantastic instrument for cutting stainless steel wire cord.
1. It is more safe to use.
2. Labour saving.
3. An excellent tool for cutting stainless steel,
4. Offers extremely clean cuts.
5. Strong and durable.
1. Can work well for the lighter work but does not work on thicker ones.
9. Vbestlife ycle Bike Cable Housing Cutter Tool
Are you looking for a cutter that is specifically engineered to cut steel wires of up to 5/32” that can result in sharp and clean wire cuts? Then this is a great option to consider.With this cable cutter, you can fix your bicycle, replace the cable and cable housing utilizing this noteworthy apparatus. It is pragmatic and strong to utilize making the cut clean and precise. You will see that the link does not shred anymore and the end is astonishingly leveled when you utilize this as a cutter.
Furthermore, this cutter is designed to be used for long as it is enhanced with great features such as anti-corrosion, Surface oxidation treatments and quantified steel. This makes it strong and firm enough to withstand pressures that are capable of breaking it. If by any chance you need a bike brake cable cutter that can work well in cutting bike brake cables, then this is a great choice for you.
1. Portable- Designed with an ergonomic plastic handle, compact in size and lightweight, it is easier for you to carry along when you are cycling.
2. Durable – Besides cutting almost anything especially spoke wire, wire cap and other parts, it can last for longer than you expect.
3. Less costly – If you are looking to cut down your budget by getting a pocket friendly yet great tool, this is the one to go for.
1. They are made to be anti-corrosion.
2. Created with strong qualified steel to last for long.
3. Comfortable and easy to use.
4. Lightweight and easy to carry.
5. High strength and sharp blade.
1. Specifically made to cut bike cables hence cannot be used to cut other cables.
10. Gracefulvara Cycling Bicycle Brake Wire Puller Pliers Inter Outer Cable Cutter
If you need a bike cable cutter to patch your bike cable or cable housing, this is the tool for you. After using this tool, you will find that your bike cable frays and smashes on the ends less often. It is also flexible, as it can be used to cut cable, ripcords, and remove grommets.Aside from its strength and toughness, it has a spring roll design for simple and precise cutting results. It is designed for one-handed operation, enabling you to use the other side of your hand to assist the cutting process.
1. Easy to use – Created with a handle that is coated with elastic materials, this tool has excellent grip that makes it easier and comfortable to use. Besides, it is enhanced with ergonomic, cushioned grip, thumb lock for comfort and ease of use.
2. Single hand use- You can use this tool with one hand while keeping the other hand free to hold the cable in place.
2. Cheap- Having been fairly priced, you can comfortably manage to get one that is pocket-friendly yet amazing.
2, Comfortable grip design
3. Easy to maintain.
4. Made of top-quality material.
6. Provides impressive cutting performance.
1. Not the best quality
Buying Guide for best bike cable cutter
Type of Material
The material used is the most important factor to remember when purchasing a cable cutter. Cable cutters are one of the most important methods for maintaining your bicycles or mountain bikes. It is important to find a high-quality bike cable cutter that will last a long time. That is, the metal will not rust, can withstand complicated and difficult wires, and is long-lasting. The majority of cable cutters on the market today are made of stain. Most cable cutters you see in the market today are made of stainless steel material.
The right cable cutter for your bike is one with a high degree of sharpness. You don’t want to buy one that can’t do its job. Cutters are designed to cut rough and heavy wires; the only consideration is the sharpness of the instrument. When it is sharp, it can also make you faster and smoother. You want to achieve clean and sheer cut results, which is highly reliant on the sharpness of the blade.
Nature of Handle
How the handle is designed determines the amount of comfort you will derive from using the design. Therefore,the handle is another important consideration when purchasing bike cable cutters. Cable cutter handles are secure and offer a quick cutting experience. To provide a layer of support when cutting cables and cable housing, look for handles with cushioned and rubberized styles. You should also have a non-slip option on the handle so that you can keep the cutter in place and while cutting very quickly.
How do you cut cables on a bike cable?
It is safe and quick to cut your bike cable housing. You can do it from the convenience of your own home if you have the right tools and skills. Before doing some work on your bike, you should put on eye protection. Below are steps you can take to cut your bike cables with a cutter of your choice.
To begin, place the cable between the jaws of the table cutter. To prepare the cable for cutting, the cutter will envelop it.
When cutting the shifter housing, catch and hold it tight to the cutter’s jaws.
Keep the housing perpendicular to the jaws and grip the bike cable cutter and crimper hard and fast to ensure a smooth and accurate break.
Inspect the cut to ensure it was exact, smooth, and clear.
Once you’re happy with the cut, attach the end cap and new cable to your bike.
What are cable cutters used for?
Cable cutters are widely used to cut wires made of copper, brass, iron, titanium, and steel. Some wire cutters have shielded handles to keep you from being surprised by the wires you’re cutting.
Different Types of Cutters
Side cutters operate by indenting the wire and wedging it apart. They have a smoother finish than scissors or knives. Side cutters can not be used on tougher objects such as nails or screws because they can inflict damage and also make the tool unusable.
In electrical applications, cable cutters are often used. To resist electrical shocks, they are typically shielded. It is important, however, not to mistake the plastic or rubber coating on the levers of a non-insulated cable cutter for electrical insulation.
Flush cutters have angled and narrow pincers, and the handles are raised away to allow enough room to carry them safely. This tool is used to cut ordinary, mild, and semi-hard metals. Often, flush cutters can only be used on flat surfaces where they can rest flush with the material being cut.
End cutters, also referred to as nippers, have a nearly flat muzzle. This helps the knife to cut close to the material’s surface without cutting through it.
Diagonal cutters are intended for crimping or wedgeing cable apart to allow for precise cuts. They are typically used on soft copper or aluminum electrical conductors which have a diagonal slash.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How can I cut my bike cable without a cable cutter?
You should patch the bike cable if you don’t have cable cutters. To complete the task, all you need are a pair of lineman pliers or wire cutters. Place your bike cable within the plier’s cutting surfaces until you’ve obtained it. To get a clear cut, make a deliberate cut with a hammer.
Can bolt cutters cut steel cable?
No, it is design to only cut through various types of metals, including:
Wires, Cables, Chain Link, Padlocks, Bolts, Nails, Mesh, Piping and Sheet metal
Are all bike cables the same?
No, they come in two different types; brake and shifter. From the outside they may look the same – but they are in fact very different.
Why are bike cables exposed?
This is because the less inner cable that’s inside a housing, the less resistance it will have.
How do you cut a mountain bike cable?
To begin, make certain that the cable cutter can accommodate the thickness of the copper or aluminum cable. Then, open the cutter jaws and insert the cable between the jaws at the desired cutting point. Next, grip the handles and squeeze them together, allowing the jaw to easily break through the wire. Before cutting, make sure that no electricity is going through the cable.
Without the right method, dealing with fraying cables and aging cable housing can be a challenging job. In view of the best bike cable cutters we mention above, you have a large range of items to choose from if you want to buy one. There are inexpensive products available to you that can provide optimal cutting results.There are also optional features that we feel are equally relevant. Products with ergonomic handles, safety latches, and heat treated technologies are available. It is up to you to choose the ones that best fit your requirements and personal tastes.