Among the greatest sources of frustration you will encounter as a Harley Davidson rider is an inefficient battery. You might be riding through nowhere when your lights go off. Alternatively, the bike might refuse to start when you need to get somewhere urgently.
These are just a couple of the embarrassments that come with having a bad battery. They are also the reasons why you need to invest in the best battery for Harley Davidson you can get your hands on.
In the guide below, we’ll take you through the best options available on the marketplace – so you have something to go on the next time you decide to shop for a Harley Davidson replacement battery. Read on to find out more:
The best battery for Harley Davidson needs to hold up for as long as possible if you are to gain from it. To get your hands on such a battery, you should look for one that fits, is reliable, and will always meet the power needs of your bike.
Reviews Of The Best Battery For Harley Davidson
As a Harley owner, you should always keep your bike well maintained and running smoothly. An important aspect of ensuring that this is done lies with the battery you choose.
Since not everyone knows about the best battery for Harley Davidson, here’s our list of the leading brands that you might want to consider:
1. HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery
Made for Harley’s, the HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery will give you thousands of miles of carefree driving. It is also reliable and was designed specifically for installation in Harley’s.
In particular, you are going to enjoy the excellent performance with the HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery. It also boasts quality construction, so you shouldn’t have to worry about getting another one in a long time.
- The HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery comes with 400 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)
- It works well as a direct replacement for OEM batteries
- It comes fully charged and, therefore, ready to use
- Since the HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery is US-made, you can rely on it
- It boasts sealed AGM technology, which means its spill-proof
- This battery will hold up even on the most turbulent of trips
- It is durable
- It comes with threaded terminals and stainless steel bolts
- For all its features, the HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery is quite pricey
- It expires fast when left in a cold, unused state
2. MX30L – MOTORCYCLE BATTERY – 600+ CCA
Another excellent option from the ThrottleX brand, the MX30L – MOTORCYCLE BATTERY – 600+ CCA also works well as a replacement on Harley Davidsons. Apart from being affordable, it is also reliable especially given that it was designed for performance and more.
Ultimately targeting riding enthusiasts, this is the best battery for Harley Davidson when you are looking for something with factory-activated Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology.
The MX30L – MOTORCYCLE BATTERY – 600+ CCA is also as leak-proof as it is spill-proof. It comes with additional vibration resistance for increased safety, durability, service life, and performance.
- When you buy the MX30L – MOTORCYCLE BATTERY – 600+ CCA, you’ll get free replacement warranty for 12 months as well as a 30-Day money back guarantee
- It boasts AGM technology
- This battery comes fully charged and ready to use
- It is easy to install
- The price is attractive for most Harley owners
- It was made using the highest quality materials
- It is relatively maintenance-free
- The MX30L – MOTORCYCLE BATTERY – 600+ CCA is OEM compatible
- Its design will prevent corrosion and leaking
- However, the MX30L – MOTORCYCLE BATTERY – 600+ CCA is quite standard, with nothing all too special about it
- The instruction manual is a bit hard to follow
3. HDX20L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery
There are also AGM separators in between the plates, and you get a 30-day money back guarantee from the manufacturer (as well as an 18-month replacement warranty). Above all, it is one of the best of all Harley-Davidson batteries in terms of pricing.
- The warranty on the HDX20L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery is quite commendable
- It boasts 310 CCAs (Cold Cranking Amps)
- The spill-proof and leak-proof design will prove useful
- However, you might experience some issues with regards to the reliability of the HDX20L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery
4. Power Source 01-366P Lightning Start Red/Black 30Ah Battery
The Power Source 01-366P Lightning Start Red/Black 30Ah Battery comes with excellent starting power (12 volts). It also boasts a CCA of 600 – meaning that it should work well as the best battery for Harley Davidson.
Further, this battery has been sealed to protect you against acid spillage, as well as outer covering that will give you the impetus to ride over harsh terrain without fearing that your bike will not keep going.
In the same way, you’ll be pleased to learn that the Power Source 01-366P Lightning Start Red/Black 30Ah Battery comes ready to install since it is fully charged. With time, you also won’t have to charge or add water making it one of the batteries for Harleys where maintenance is concerned.
- The Power Source 01-366P Lightning Start Red/Black 30Ah Battery works well over all seasons of the year
- It is reasonably priced
- The power from this battery will impress you
- It is quite durable
- However, you might have some difficulty trying to install the Power Source 01-366P Lightning Start Red/Black 30Ah Battery on your own, especially if you have no prior experience
5. Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery
Stemming from a reputable brand, the Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery is another excellent option. Easy to use and install, you should have it all figured out before long.
However, you need to ensure that the Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery is compatible with your Harley Davidson. This is the only way you are going to benefit from it.
- As long as it will fit on your bike, this is one of the best batteries you can purchase
- It is relatively easy to install
- The Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery is quite durable
- However, the Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery does not fit into all Harley Davidsons
- If you are looking for a battery that was designed for performance, this might not be the option for you
Harley Davidson Replacement Battery Basics
Before you start shopping for the best battery for Harley Davidson, you should first try to understand the different options available. This way, you will be better placed to maintain your battery and get maximum use out of it.
At present, AGM batteries are the best especially if you are looking for something with robust construction and the ability to resist vibrations and shocks. They also come with mats that are not entirely saturated with electrolyte. This means that the fluid won’t expand to a level when it damages the casing and plates during winter.
Further, how often you ride will determine the durability of the battery you choose for your Harley. Remember, you can keep your battery well charged by ensuring that your bike is in constant use.
On the other hand, if you leave your battery in a state of disuse and you still decide not to operate or top it up, the chances are that its performance and power capacity will wane over time.
Similarly, you should never allow the cells to be fully depleted. This will only damage the battery meaning that they will no longer be able to maintain the full charge that the manufacturer specified.
To this end, you need to ride your Harley continuously. By so doing, you will always ensure that your battery has charge. Alternatively, think about maintaining the rated capacity for your battery all the while taking care to ensure that it never fully drains.
Buying Replacement Batteries For Your Harley Davidson
For starters, always look for a battery that is compatible with your motorbike, and which fits well with the manufacturer’s recommendations. Remember, some batteries are only designed to work with specific brands. This knowledge will help you narrow your search down until you find the one type of battery that will work best with your motorcycle.
You should also look for a battery that boasts the latest technology. After all, you certainly don’t want to have to deal with spillage. While shopping, keep in mind that faulty batteries might end up destroying your Harley.
Your best bet, therefore, would be to take your pick only from the most reliable manufacturers – something with the technology that will allow it to prevent spillage.
3. Wet vs. Dry
Some of the batteries you will find on the marketplace come dry – meaning that you’ll need to buy and add the acid before sealing it all in. Others come fully charged, set, and ready to use. The best battery for Harley Davidson should be one that best suits you.
When all is said and done, the best battery for your Harley would be the choice that is likely to last you for as long as possible. To this end, you should take your time making a decision about the battery you are going to buy. If possible, pay a little extra to get your hands on the most durable battery in the market.
Maintenance Tips For Harley Davidson Motorcycle Batteries
Once you buy the best battery for Harley Davidson, you should also take good care of it. Here’s how:
Always charge your battery. Remember, one of the leading causes of Harley Davidson battery failure revolves around neglect.
Similarly, maintaining your battery off-season will always extend its lifetime and runtime.
Any of the options listed above could pass off as the best battery for Harley Davidson. All you need to do is choose one that you are sure is compatible with your bike, and you’ll be good to go.
Whether you are looking for a replacement or you need to get something entirely new to go with your bike, you can always count on the batteries we’ve listed in this guide.
Not only are they durable, but they are also quite reliable. Further, most of these batteries come with easy-to-follow instructions on maintenance and installation – as well as repairs should it ever come to that.
In the same way, these options boast robust maintenance-free and leak-proof designs. This means that whatever you pick should serve you well over the long haul.
However, if you are looking for the best battery for Harley Davidson, then we’d have to recommend that tHDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery. It works just as good (if not better) than your original battery for most Harleys. This is to such an extent that most buyers don’t notice any difference in terms of performance and reliability.
This battery is easy to install and should fit perfectly. You will also be impressed to learn that the HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery only works on Harley Davidsons – so you shouldn’t expect to see it on another brand.
Over and above everything else, however, the best battery for Harley Davidson should be one with the best endurance, CCA ratings, and within your budget. As long as it comes from the list above, you should not have any problems going forward.