When it comes to finding the best ATV battery, the number of options available in the market might prove to be daunting. After all, there’s more to every battery than meets the eye.
If you’ve been having trouble picking the right battery for your ATV, this guide will help you out. Read on to find out more:
Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews
Unlike most other motorized vehicles, ATVs don’t require quite as much power. Therefore, as you shop for the best ATV battery, your primary concern should be to find one that will resist the output of heat as well as the vibration from the engine.
In the same line, you should pick a battery that is of the right size and type for your ATV. After all, you certainly don’t want to spend your money and time on a battery that won’t go with your vehicle.
|YUASA YTX14-BS Maintenance Free Battery|
|Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery|
|YTX14-BS Replacement Battery for Honda TRX300 TRX350 TRX400 TRX420 - Mighty Max Battery brand product|
Best ATV Battery Reviews:
Now that you have an improved idea about ATV battery, the following sections are dedicated to the best options the market has to offer. Use this information to make a better decision the next time you go shopping for the best ATV battery:
1. YUASA YTX14-BS Maintenance Free Battery
Boasting an AGM design, the YUASA YTX14-BS Maintenance Free Battery is efficient in the sense that you don’t need to always add distilled water to ensure that it works well. That said, this battery is maintenance-free although you still need to keep checking it every once in a while to ensure everything is in good order.
- The YUASA YTX14-BS Maintenance Free Battery is a quality product from a reputable brand
- Since it is maintenance free, you should get maximum value out of it with minimal input
- You no longer have to worry about watering this battery
- It comes with advanced lead-calcium technology, which means it will continue working well over the long haul
- The YUASA YTX14-BS Maintenance Free Battery is sealed meaning that you don’t have to worry about spills
- The manufacturer has provided warranty for an entire year
- However, the YUASA YTX14-BS Maintenance Free Battery is so big that it might not fit in your ATV; check the compatibility before you buy it
2. Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery
Another wonderful option from the Yuasa brand, the Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery is considered to be the best ATV battery in some circles. This is especially among those who live in cold environments.
The large cold cranking amp volume and the high quality of the battery all go a long way into making it a desirable option for many. If your ATV is highly powered, therefore, you might want to get this battery
- The Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery doesn’t require any maintenance
- Further, you won’t need to refill it with water
- Since it is sealed, you don’t have to worry about any spills
- This battery is stable enough to withstand even the strongest of vibrations from your ATV
- It is one of the long lasting options available in the market
- The Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery is quite affordable
- However, you need to be careful while disposing of this battery; the lead and acid inside might prove to be a hazard to the environment
- It doesn’t come with any warranty from the manufacturer
3. YTX14-BS Replacement Battery for Honda TRX300 TRX350 TRX400 TRX420
The Mighty Max Battery YTX14-BS Replacement Battery for Honda TRX300 TRX350 TRX400 TRX420 is designed as a lithium ion battery. As such, it is much better than most of the other ATV batteries available in the market.
Additionally, this battery is well proportioned and light enough for anyone to install in a four-wheeler. Further, it comes with a standard ampere rating below 5A, making it ideal in terms of durability.
This is the best ATV battery in terms of performance because it has more cycles than lead acid
- It is relatively friendly to the environment
- It recharges fast
- It is quite portable
- It is compatible with most vehicles
- The 2-terminal orientation means it isn’t quite as flexible
- The manufacturer hasn’t provided any warranty
4. YTX14AH 12V 12AH Battery for Polaris 500 Sportsman HO ’96-’13
Designed for use in heavy-duty ATVs and UTVs (particularly those in the Polaris line), this battery is great for anyone living/driving in cold weather environments. As an AGM/SLA battery, it also doesn’t spill or leak, and won’t require water for capacity improvement.
- It is easy to start in cold environments due to the 12 Amp/210 CCAs
- The compact design makes it the best ATV battery for use in Polaris UTVs and ATVs
- It doesn’t require regular water maintenance
- It is well sealed against potential leaks and spills
- However, this ATV battery is quite expensive
- It doesn’t come with manufacturer’s warranty
5. YTX14AH-BS 12V 12Ah Replacement for CTX14AH-BS, CB14A-A2, YB14A-A2 – Mighty Max Battery brand product
Apart from being a maintenance free battery, this replacement option can also be mounted in all positions. Similarly, you can easily charge it knowing that no harmful or hazardous fumes will escape from the battery case.
- It comes with a maintenance free/GEL configuration
- Users can be sure that there’s be no contacts with acid, spills, or leaks
- It provides high capacity power
- It is durable both while in use and in storage due to the low self-discharging
- However, this replacement battery is highly priced compared to its quality
Factors To Consider While Shopping For The Best ATV Batteries
In the following section, you’ll find a couple of factors you should always watch out for as you shop for the best ATV battery. These factors include, but are not limited to:
1. Technical Specifications
Although you might find the technical details a bit overwhelming, the devil is always in the details. Therefore, you need to review the details on all the ATV batteries you come across if only to improve your understanding of what you stand to gain by each purchase.
Here are some of the things you should consider:
a) Cold Cranking Amp (CCA)
Otherwise referred to as CCA, the cold cranking amp is the measurement of the amp your battery can produce when it is at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. If you live in a cold/snowy environment, this figure will prove useful. In general, the higher the CCA, the easier it will be to start your ATV regardless of the temperatures.
b) Cycle Life
Cycle life is the total number of complete discharge and charge cycles a battery can handle. Generally speaking, the longer the cycle the longer you’ll be able to use the ATV battery.
c) Amp Hour (AH)
AH indicates the total number of amps your ATV battery can supply in a given hour.
2. Types Of Battery
Second, you must understand the different types of ATV batteries there are in the marketplace. The most common types include:
a) Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Battery
One of the best of all options, AGM batteries come with glass mats for wicking electrolytes. Although these batteries tend to be highly priced, they are still popular because they won’t disintegrate quite as fast as most other types of ATV batteries.
b) Wet Cell Battery
Wet cell batteries contain sulfuric acid and water. They are also available in the serviceable and the maintenance-free versions depending on how you’d like to handle your battery.
c) Gel Cell Battery
Last but not least, gel cell batteries contain silica-type gels for suspending the electrolyte. Compared to AGM batteries, gel cells tend to come with a lower discharge rate.
3. Other Factors To Consider
Apart from the type and the technical specifications, there are a number of other things you should think about as you look for the best ATV battery. These include:
Where possible, always shop for a maintenance free ATV battery. After all, you certainly don’t want to put in a lot of effort to ensure that your battery is always in top shape.
b) Mounting Options
Never shop for a battery that you can’t mount in the right position required by your ATV.
You should also check your ATV to find out its requirements for an ATV battery. This is the only way you are going to find the right size, connector types, and more.
If you have time, read as many reviews of different batteries to find the best ATV battery for you. Keep in mind that others have been in the exact same position you are in – and are more likely to offer advice to help you make the right choice.
Although this might seem crude, you should overlook the pricing of the ATV battery. In most cases, cheaply priced batteries tend to translate to poor performance. Although a highly priced battery might require that you pay a bit more, you’ll get better quality for every single penny you spend.
Why Buy The Best ATV Battery
So, why you should take the time to look for the best ATV battery? What do you stand to gain by spending more on a battery than you would otherwise have done? The following reasons should compel you:
For starters, only the best ATV battery will be able to provide you with the reliable power you require to ensure that your ATV is always up and running. This is particularly important if you live in an area that is hard on your vehicle – such as in a cold region that receives tons of snow.
The power from your battery will allow your engine to start, meaning that you’ll be able to get on the road sooner rather than later. It is actually for this same reason that most mechanics will first check your battery if your ATV refuses to start.
Second up, only the best ATV battery will give you confidence in your own safety and security. With a high-quality battery, you can always start your ATV with the knowledge that it will fire up irrespective of the situation you find yourself in.
Finally, the right ATV battery will maximize the performance of your vehicle. When you do buy an inferior battery, you should expect the worst performance. A good battery, on the other hand, will even provide you with extra power such as for the lights on your ATV.
Tips For Using ATV Batteries
For starters, you should always install your ATV battery properly. During installation, check the manual that was sent from your manufacturer. If you don’t understand it, get someone who has experience with ATVs to help you out. Failure to install the battery properly might negatively affect the safety and functionality of your vehicle.
Although this goes without saying, you might want to check that the ATV battery you wish to buy is compatible with your vehicle. Remember, not all the batteries you come across are universally compatible. Therefore, take a minute or two to confirm that what you wish to buy will go well with your ATV.
As far as possible, always ensure that your battery is charged before you use it. This is one of the reasons why it is highly recommended that you charge your batteries every week. Batteries that are usually drained most of the time tend to function dismally.
4. Fluid Levels
Before you use your ATV battery, check the fluid levels to ensure that everything is just right. Similarly, only use mineral-free water while leveling the fluids in your battery. Using impure water will affect the functionality of your battery.
Without a battery, your ATV wouldn’t run. Similarly, if you buy a low-quality battery, you’ll end up spending more in terms of time wasted and stress sustained. This is why it makes sense to pay a bit more for the best ATV battery without your price range.
That said, if you are looking for a battery that will serve you well over the long haul without having to pay too much for it, we’d recommend that you get the Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery. Stable, reliable, and sustainable, this battery will prove to be your best friend in no time.
If you liked this article, and would like to know more about other products, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below. Until next time, enjoy!