All You Need To Know For Choosing The Best Motorcycle Battery
Any motorcyclist worth his salt knows the importance of getting the best motorcycle battery for their machine. Although you’ll certainly be tempted to try and save some money by going for the cheapest model you find, you ought to know better. Read the motorcycle battery buying guide below to learn how:
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon
The Value Of A Motorcycle Battery
With the best motorcycle battery, your life will not only get more convenient, it will also end up saving you a lot of money and time in terms of maintenance and limited downtime.
Consider following the advice below to get the best battery and know how to pick the right battery and maintain it:
Choosing The Best Motorcycle Battery
Seeing as how there are so many motorcycle batteries out there in the market, you should try picking the best among them.
1. The Type
First, you should decide on the motorcycle battery type to buy. You can choose an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery because you’ll get a special mat that you can use to wick the electrolytes from the battery.
This type of battery is versatile, meaning you can also use it for other applications apart from your motorcycle.
Another good option is the gel cell battery. It comes with a gel that acts as the suspension of the battery’s electrolytes. Therefore, the electrons will freely flow within the plate - meaning that the chances of a leak are minimal at best.
2. Technical Specifications
If you are a newbie in motorcycle battery selection, chances are that you are going to ignore the tech specs. Instead, look at the cold cranking amps (CCA) to know whether the battery can start even in a cold environment. The higher the CCA, the easier life will get for you.
Similarly, consider the battery’s reserve capacity - which refers to the total number of minutes your fully-charged motorcycle battery can be discharged given a specific temperature. Therefore, the longer the reserve capacity, the higher the quality of the battery.
3. Other Considerations
Never use pricing as a guide while picking out a battery for your motorbike. Most cheap models are understandably inferior quality-wise. Instead, take the battery as a proper investment in money and time.
b) User Opinions
Similarly, consider what others have to say about the battery you wish to buy. Read online reviews and talk to people who have had a bike long enough to know how to pick the right battery.
Always go for extensive warranty while buying a battery. Only a manufacturer who is confident about their product’s quality will offer you warranty. The longer the warranty, the more you can rely on the manufacturer in case of any issues with your battery.
Where possible, get yourself a battery that needs little to no maintenance. You’ll get greater peace of mind knowing that your motorcycle is well taken care of in the battery department.
Last but not least, consider the climate where you live and work. If the temperatures in your location tend towards the high side, invest in a battery with a longer life.
READ MORE ABOUT:
Tips in Using Motorcycle Battery
That said, the best motorcycle battery is convenient, affordable, and easy to maintain. If possible, invest in a sealed battery because it will come with a reduced exposed SA (surface area) meaning that it won’t lose water easily. Irrespective of your pick, follow the advice below to get the most out of your battery:
First, ensure that the battery was installed properly - even if it will require you to follow the User Manual supplied with the battery.
Before buying a battery, ensure that it is compatible with your bike.
Always ensure that your batteries are charged at least once every week.
READ MORE ABOUT:
In the same way, check the level of the fluid. When the fluid level goes down, you should use mineral-free water to restore it.
To keep the motorcycle battery in great shape, follow the Care Instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Always ensure that the terminals are clean. This will prevent corrosion and the buildup of dirt and sediments.
7. Cable Connectors
Similarly, keep the cables in the best condition possible. Clean them up and ensure that they are not loose.
Last but not least, get your battery inspected. Even the best motorcycle battery will fail you if you don’t take good care of it.
The Best Motorcycle Battery Reviews
- The ExpertPower 12V 7 Amp EXP1270 Rechargeable Lead Acid Battery is completely genuine if bought from the right source
- It comes with a rugged construction, making it resistant to heat, chemicals, vibration, and shock
- It features AGM technology, meaning that the acid will be absorbed in between the plates before being immobilized by the fine fiberglass matt
- This battery is user-friendly and comes with easy-to-follow installation procedures, is maintenance free, and has valve regulation to get your bike running immediately you switch it on
- It is made of some of the highest quality materials available
- It is versatile in the sense that you can use for more than just powering your bike; other applications includes wheelchairs, home security systems, general electronics, lighting equipment, UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply), and home alarm systems
- Although most users agree that the ExpertPower 12V EXP1270 Rechargeable ranks among the best motorcycle batteries, a few have complained that sometimes the battery fails them; the great thing is that these are isolated cases
- The HDX30L - Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery comes with AGM technology, which means that you get mounting flexibility and can rest assured that there’ll be no leaks
- The manufacturer has provided an 18-month free replacement warranty, meaning that you can trust your product
- It is designed to satisfy your discerning demands as a motorcyclist in terms of functionality and quality
- It has a heat sealed cover as well as patented solid lead female-threaded terminals
- It comes fully charged and pre-activated while new and ready to install
- The battery is completely maintenance free
- Sealed permanently, the battery is among the most durable in the market
- However, the HDX30L - Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery sometimes has a couple of defects since it is pre-sealed before delivery; this can be fixed by activating the manufacturer’s 30-day money back guarantee or 18-month free replacement warranty
- It is bulkier than other battery models
- The YUASA YTX14-BS Maintenance Free Battery comes pre-filled, pre-charged, and fully sealed for immediate use
- It features no leaks, spills, or water to check
- The manufacturer has provided a 60-day money back guarantee and an 18-month replacement warranty
- It is manufactured using top quality materials and parts
- It is designed to offer extreme vibration resistance, particularly for such brands as Yuasa, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Harley Davidson, Ducati, and Apache, among others
- Each battery is tested rigorously for safety and quality before being shipped
- The YUASA YTX14-BS Battery offers extreme power and optimal performance
- It is built especially for motorcycles but can also be used with snowmobiles, scooters, motorcycles, jet skis, and ATVs
- The AGM separators on the battery offer the superior design you are used to
- It features heavy duty terminals
- The battery comes with extreme vibration resistance and improved Iifecycle performance
- Above everything else, this is one of the best motorcycle batteries because it is maintenance free for optimal functionality
- It is relatively easy to setup
- However, before you activate it, ensure that it fits well into your motorcycle
- Depending on quality control problems and shipping, the battery might have issues with the acid levels although this can easily be remedied using the manufacturer’s warranty and guarantee
- The Shorai LFX09L2-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron Powersports Battery is ultra light and will hold onto unloaded charged for up to a year even without maintenance
- It comes with fast cranking, meaning that you should be able to easily start your motorcycle
- The battery has a super-fast recharge rate
- It doesn’t make explosive gasses while charging; similarly, it won’t produce acid or lead in the process
- It is one of the most environmentally-friendly motorcycle batteries in the market
- Each battery comes with high density adhesive-backed foam sheets to use for a tighter fit and to add vibration and thermal insulation
- You don’t need a special charger with it, although you can improve its life and performance by getting the Shorai LFX Charger
- However, you should check the voltage output for your bike before you install the Shorai LFX09L2-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron Powersports Battery
- Overcharging this battery might cause it to fail
- The Odyssey PC68O Battery is resistant to extreme temperatures and vibrations, making a world of difference to its durability
- It recharges faster than most of the other batteries you might be considering, delivering better performance in the long run
- It features a rugged construction designed to take on even the strongest of poundings in any environment
- The long lifecycle means that you get 70% more in comparison to most of the other deep cycle batteries
- It runs well even in cold weather
- However, you need to get an adaptor for the battery’s negative terminal
Picking the best motorcycle battery isn't as easy as you might assume. Every expert and motorbike expert will advise that you never choose a battery based on its price.
Cheap prices are never the best option in the market. Instead, consider the other factors mentioned in the guide above - and only buy batteries from the 5 recommendations given.
Our recommendation, overall, is the Yuasa YTX14-BS Maintenance Free Battery. It beats out the other batteries discussed in terms of maintenance, capacity, and CCA. Additionally, it is protected (against spilling) and sealed.
In terms of lifespan and capacity, you wouldn't get better value for your money. The advanced technology used to make it also means that you get a quality battery for your motorcycle.
If you are looking for the best motorcycle battery, therefore, you couldn’t do better than with the Yuasa YTX14-BS Maintenance Free Battery.
I hope you enjoyed this article and would like to know more about other products, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below. Until next time, enjoy!